Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:08 AM   #1

Default PC to Imac

Hi all I am looking to get a new computer very soon and I am seriously thinking of going to a Imac after 30years with pc's. I know other people have done this so what are the pit falls, advantages and do you regret changing. Thanks Grant
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:38 AM   #2

Off the top of my head:
  1. You're stuck with the iMac's monitor, which isn't bad, but it isn't great either.
  2. Apple has gone, hook, line, and sinker, toward wireless peripherals. While a wireless keyboard isn't a big deal (but neither is a wired keyboard), wireless mice are heavier (because of the internal battery) and so are harder to move slightly and precisely.
  3. Equivalent applications aren't aren't always available for Mac OSX, and Mac OSX applications typically fall slightly behind equivalent Windows applications in the product development cycle, so it may take you a while to find software you want or need, if ever.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:37 PM   #3

I switched 2 years ago to a Macbook pro and couldn't be happier. There's a learning curve as the two systems go about things differently (I bought a Missing Manual book on Mac and that made a big difference). As TCav pointed out, not all softare is available in the Mac OS. You can always run Windows natively on an Intel Mac, but then you have to deal with both operating systems and there's no advantage to that. So make sure everything you use is available or an equivalent is available. The only programs I personally use that lags behind the PC version is by Microsoft, and I rarely use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:15 PM   #4

I also switched a couple of years ago and wish I wouldn't have waited so long. I now use a 27" IMac and an IBook. I love the 27" monitor. It makes editing easier with a big sharp colorfull image. No viruses either.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:13 PM   #5

You might want to think about the Mac Mini rather than the iMac. Then you arent stuck with any peripherals. After a couple of iMacs I got a Mini and couldnt be happier. Its small, powerful, fast and convenient. It comes stuffed and no need to think about upgrades. Software has never been a concern in using Mac over the last 20 years. Whether you use wireless peripherals or not is your choice. Most everything is USB compatible. I have a 22" BenQ monitor, Apples USB keyboard left over from my previous iMac. The mouse is Macally wireless. My only complaint is its too small and uncomfortable after extended use. I am going to get the newest Apple mouse. My mini is plugged into my 46" Samsung HDTV by HDMI. The picture is awesome. There are enough jacks for anything you can think of. You will need a self powered USB hub for even more things to stick in it, like cables for cameras, USB sticks, headphones etc. The PC is a mac wannabe. When you start using the Mac you will understand the real thing. And for you PC people who will argue this...the desktop, folders, trashcan, files, icons etc are all compliments of Mac. But they all work better on the Mac. And most important of all....there is NO virus, trojans etc for the Mac. In 20 years I have only encountered one problem that some jerky programmer made based on the autostart feature on the mac. That was an easy fix. And never encountered anything since. And thats after many many terrabytes of downloads. Not any PC can make that claim.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:12 PM   #6

I purchased a 21.5" iMac a week ago. I've used PC's up until now. So far I really like it. I like the wireless keyboard and mouse a lot. There's been a few things that have taken a bit to get used to, but I'm gradually getting it all figured out. The speed is great as well as the graphics......................but keep in mind that I'm coming from a 7 year old PC.

The all-in-one concept really works for me since we have two homes that we split our time at. I just unplug the power cord and put it in the box along with the keyboard and mouse and hit the road. There are even travel cases made for these things. In my case, it kind of makes it a super laptop. I'd considered a laptop, but really don't care for the small screen and more awkward keyboard and scroll pad.

Good luck on your decision, Jim
Bikentrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:11 AM   #7

Thanks for all your replies. I am probably going to take the plung and get an Imac 21.5 all in one. The case against the mac mini is my wife doesnt want all the cables and she really likes the all in concept. She has a discount program from work so as soon as that comes through we will order.

Do you use Apature or Lightroom, I think I will have to down load 30 day trials of both?
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:17 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
And most important of all....there is NO virus, trojans etc for the Mac.
No operating system is totally secure. Macs are usually the first machines hacked at Black Hat conferences (where a hacker can get control of a machine and run code simply by getting someone to visit a web site with specially crafted code on it that takes advantage of vulnerabilities in browsers like Safari).

Not only are new vulnerabilities found in Safari (and other browsers on a regular basis), the same thing applies to plug-ins like Adobe Flash and Acrobat reader (new vulnerabilities found and exploited on a regular basis).

Also, anytime you install something from an untrusted source, you risk installing Malware (and that goes for any operating system). Windows users are often infected when installing software they want to try that they found on the web. We'll probably see more of that kind of thing targeting OS X as time passes.

New Trojans for Macs are found on a regular basis. Apple even realizes it and provides protection for some Trojans now. See this article about it:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010...re-protection/

Here's a brand new trojan that can install in OS X if a user clicks on a video link.

http://www.securemac.com/boonana-bulletin.php

I've seen further analysis show that it also contains components to target Windows and Linux (it's cross platform malware, and I suspect we'll see more of that type of thing as time passes). ;-)

Just because OS X and Linux haven't been targeted as much in the past, doesn't mean that they're immune to problems.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:27 AM   #9

I wasnt happy when Apple dropped Motorolla and went to Intel. But Ive got an Intel Mac and not much I can do about that. Ive had 20 years of problem free use so thats why I say no trojans etc. If they are out there I guess Ive been lucky then. And thats with many many terrabytes of downloads. Ive never owned any virus software let alone installed any. When my last iMac died I started to use my PC. That lasted less than a week before it crashed and I needed to reinitialize the drive and start again. All those goofy popup windows on the PC drove me nuts and kept me busy just trying to close them. No, PC means Piece of Chit. Macs rule.

Last edited by Bynx; Nov 4, 2010 at 7:29 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:18 AM   #10

Viruses spread. For the most part, that's all they do, and for the most part, that's all they ever did. They may have had a mission, but they were usually so bug-ridden, that they rarely accomplished it. The problems that viruses caused weren't so much that they spread, but that they were so poorly written that they screwed up other stuff. Once the developer found out that their newly written virus could spread, they turned it loose, without regard to whether or not the virus could do anything else, and whether it could do it well or not.

A well written virus could wreak havoc; it's a good thing there never was one.

Spyware, on the other hand, has a mission, and it performs that mission very well. Spyware doesn't have to worry about spreading. Spreading is someone else's job. Spyware just has to collect information about the computer it's running on, and all the computers it can connect to, and send that information over the internet to someone who thinks they may be able to use it, or someone who thinks they can sell it to someone who thinks they can use it.

The people that write Spyware do it to make money. There was never any money to be had from writing viruses. So spyware developers are better at their jobs than virus developers. And most spyware is written in languages that are platform independent, like Java. So they'll run just fine whatever computer they find themselves inhabiting.

Not only is the statement about the Mac not having any viruses a myth, it's also misleading. There are plenty of viruses for the Macintosh. I remind you that Mac OSX is simply a front end for BSD Unix. If you don't think there are viruses for Unix and Linux, you are sadly mistaken.

So don't buy a Mac because you think you won't get a virus. And if you think that your Mac has never gotten a virus or other form of Malware, you are either very lucky or very mistaken.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 4, 2010 at 8:29 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote