Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:06 PM   #21

At warm temperatures like -5C (23F) you probably don't have to worry much at all about condensation. Though it does depend a great deal on the humidity of the warm area you are going into. A really warm, humid greenhouse would still be bad. A house without a humidifier should be no problem.

Just pay attention when going into a warm area. Fogging spectacles are a real good indicator.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:37 PM   #22

semi-related question: airplanes and humidity. Bringing my gear as carry-on i suspect is fine. is there a problem checking it, having it in the cargo bay? I am pretty sure it gets pretty damn cold in there. I will be flying down to florida (from new england) soon.

(aside from the fact that i may not want to check my gear anyhow due to breakage/stealing/"lost" possibilities)

thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:33 PM   #23

A longish time while going through a bunch of temp/humidity changes is the time to add a dessicant.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:37 AM   #24

Well, I take back what I said about not goint to places colder than -5 C !

I'm going to St. Moritz this weekend, a very hip ski resort here in Switzerland...seems that temperatures at night are at about -25 C, and during the day between -7 and -11 C !

So should I be worried about bringing my camera ? Could the cold damage the electronics inside ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
semi-related question: airplanes and humidity. Bringing my gear as carry-on i suspect is fine. is there a problem checking it, having it in the cargo bay? I am pretty sure it gets pretty damn cold in there. I will be flying down to florida (from new england) soon.

(aside from the fact that i may not want to check my gear anyhow due to breakage/stealing/"lost" possibilities)

thanks!
I used to work for a major airline in Nashville TN. The summers here are very humid 80% and higher most of the time. When a plane arrived after a flight of over 3 hours the cargo bins would be very cold. With in just a few minutes moisture would start to build up on the inside. So if your baggage is not well insulated then that could become a problem.

But I would NEVER check my camera gear for any reason.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote