Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:33 AM   #1

Default 'For Sale' section

is there one here on the forums?

can there be one here on the forums?

why isn't there one on the forums?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:44 AM   #2

There is no FS here, Im sure there is a reason but I cant answer for it inteligently.
There are many other forums with FS sections that I frequent on a regular basis. Nearly all of my gear collection (~$25K) was bought gently used and in like new condition because I can get it around 20% less used which is a big deal when you are talking about a $5K camera body or an $8K lens.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:49 AM   #3

The answer that has been given in the past is that the forum just doesn't want to have deal with the potential issues that will inevitably arrise: bad feelings when buyer is dissatisfied with the product they received. Policing people's integrity isn't something the site wants to get involved with. As mentioned - other forums have buy/sell areas - as does ebay and craigslist.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4

ok, thats fair enough. thanks for the answers.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:16 PM   #5

I know I have a hard time parting with my older cameras, even if only a year 'older'...when I have jumped to another model. Even if nothing is wrong with it, just wanted something different and past the return warranty. Somehow it is like selling ones adopted puppy. I still like it, still may use it or let hubby use it...er, maybe...but, sell it or give it away....um....
I still have my first digital, a sony Mavica FD75 uses floppy discs...still keep them around too. still works well, as well as a 1mp. But, it was great at birthday parties, take the pic, give it to the mother.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:10 AM   #6

I know I should probably TP this, but is there a recommended venue for selling used cameras? I replaced my P&S while it was out for warranty repair, wasn't expecting to get the thing back.. behold! It's a ZS7 and it might even be factory sealed (they exchanged the unit, it gets here in a day or two) so I'm thinking of listing it on Ebay or Amazon. My husband is a little cranky that I bought a T2i and S95 all in the last week, heheh. :/
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:10 AM   #7

IMO, Craigslist, since there is no fee, and you can often sell to someone local, face to face, usually for cash. Less risky than depending on getting a good bid.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8

IMO I wouldnt mess with Craigslist, too many weirdos out there. If you do make sure its with somone local and that you meet in a crowded place.

Fred Miranda and POTN have quite the FS sections. Fred Miranda charges a yearly fee of like $24.95 to be ablke to list. POTN charges nothing. Personally I dont do Fleabay or Craigslist.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:39 AM   #9

Personally, I've bought and sold on EBay and Craig's list and have come to realize that's it's just plain easier to use Craig's List. Yes, you get the occasional nitwit requests to ship the item to a son who is studying in France.
But, if you stick to the rule of doing a cash transaction, face to face, and in a public location i.e. coffee shop or mall then it fine.

By the way, if you're not interested in the hassle of having to meet someone,
you can always contact KEH.com and ask them what they would pay for the item you wish to sell. They are a very reputable on line buyer/seller of photographic equipment. Just be prepared to accept less as they will have to turn around and sell it. But it's clean and simple.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:05 AM   #10

I'll continue to occasionally buy from ebay, but I think I'm done with selling on Ebay. The fees have just become too expensive...listing, final value and paypal fees take up too big a chunk of what you make. I've begun using Craigslist to sell and have sold 8 or 10 items over the last month. I haven't had any problems and the items sold almost immediately at the price I was asking for.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote