Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:13 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Turning down business

This is really not a happy tale..... after my 9 months living in Egypt, I've finally started to be recognised not only in Alexandria but also in Cairo with events planners wanting to work with me, people phoning responding to the posters I have in the local churches and also through my facebook page. However, with 3 days until I return to the UK I've had to turn down a couple of weddings, a gala dinner, a corporate event, an engagement and numerous child shoots. I'm at the start of my dream of being a 'real' photographer and seeing everything starting to come together with people coming to me, no hard work involved on my behalf, and I have to say no, I'm no longer taking bookings and won't be back for the short/medium term. It's a horrible feeling as I know I will have to start again in the UK and I also know that there is huge competition compared to here. I think I could get close to earning a UK wage with everything I'm being asked to shoot, it would just take some investment for space and a couple of editors (I couldn't shoot and edit the volumes needed), and I could live well as living costs are much lower here....... man, there is a major part of me wanting to remain here, it's nice to hear all the positive comments. By UK standards I'm an OK photographer but not high end, by local standards I'm producing shots that most are not be it through kit restrictions or education.

I'm not sure why I wrote this post as no one can really help, I just wanted to share the dilemma and pain of this situation with fellow photogs.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:47 PM   #2

Unfortunately, my crystal ball is a cloudy as ever, for myself as well as you. Only you know your situation. Given where I have gotten by following my dream, I'm tempted to say 'forget about it - go home and take the security', but then the other part says 'hell, life is short - do what feels right, and let the chips fall where they may'.
May your dreams come true.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:46 PM   #3

Good luck Mark.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
This is really not a happy tale..... after my 9 months living in Egypt, I've finally started to be recognised not only in Alexandria but also in Cairo with events planners wanting to work with me, people phoning responding to the posters I have in the local churches and also through my facebook page. However, with 3 days until I return to the UK I've had to turn down a couple of weddings, a gala dinner, a corporate event, an engagement and numerous child shoots. I'm at the start of my dream of being a 'real' photographer and seeing everything starting to come together with people coming to me, no hard work involved on my behalf, and I have to say no, I'm no longer taking bookings and won't be back for the short/medium term. It's a horrible feeling as I know I will have to start again in the UK and I also know that there is huge competition compared to here. I think I could get close to earning a UK wage with everything I'm being asked to shoot, it would just take some investment for space and a couple of editors (I couldn't shoot and edit the volumes needed), and I could live well as living costs are much lower here....... man, there is a major part of me wanting to remain here, it's nice to hear all the positive comments. By UK standards I'm an OK photographer but not high end, by local standards I'm producing shots that most are not be it through kit restrictions or education.

I'm not sure why I wrote this post as no one can really help, I just wanted to share the dilemma and pain of this situation with fellow photogs.
Hi Mark,

My logic has always told me that writing something down or saying something aloud, crystallizes what your head is thinking and forces you to "deal with reality" however, unpleasant that may be.

In writing this post, I think you may already know the course of direction you're going to take.

My only comment is: Life is short, enjoy every minute that you can, and always do what makes you happy.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:01 AM   #5

Hi I can see your problem my take on it is you willo nly get better the more pictures you take. I have seen your work and really like it, you can only get better. I see the hard part you now have a fair bit of work if you come back here then you will be starting again maybe its a case of live for today with what you have and re think the return home, you could always do it later. I lived in the Middle east for several years and really liked it, when I came back I spent 2 years feeling cold.
Best of Luck. Grant
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:31 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Bummer dude. BTW it's cold here, are you sure you want to come back?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 6:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
This is really not a happy tale.....
Bitter-sweet maybe.

I think that it is great that you have enjoyed your time in Egypt
so much that you are reluctant to leave.

I also think that you should be happy that your work is in
demand and highly regarded. It would be worse if no one
was interested.

Just to add to your difficulties, have a look at the North
Atlantic weather charts: http://www.met.ie/forecasts/atlantic-charts.asp
Cold, wet and windy.

Maybe there is a major decision to be be made in the near
future. Will it be possible to return to Egypt if you change
your mind in the weeks ahead?
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:06 PM   #8

What might have been... How often reality comes crashing down on dreams...

It sounds like you don't have a choice about returning to the UK. At least you know you have really been there, and that you've had such a wonderful experience. Should give you incentive to keep at it. You have the experience to know how to go about being a pro now.

And who knows - perhaps your life's path will lead you back to Egypt again some day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:24 PM   #9

On two separate sheets of paper, write down the positives of staying in Egypt, or going back to the UK. Long list wins.

Seriously, is there a reason you MUST leave now? (rhetorically speaking, of course).

This almost reminds me of a love story about urequited love LOL. Good luck with your decision!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:31 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I should add I'm back in the UK now and yes we did have to come back to the UK due to finances and always we agreed to have a year or just under in Egypt and then the same in the UK. So we are on the UK phase and for me it is much more relaxing, calmer, quieter, cleaner so that's good. I do miss the weather though but can't have everything. We will see what happens in the future, it was just shame to start being a success and then things having to stop.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote