Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:47 AM   #1

Default Eye-Fi Query

Has anyone used one of these in a SD to CF Adaptor? I am thinking of getting a Eye-Fi Connect X2 4gb card. I have a Kodak Z950 that this will go in but was wondering how they fair in a CF adaptor. I also have an E420 that this could be used in via an adaptor, just wondering whether its worth spending the money on the adaptor also.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:22 AM   #2

I have the adapter and it works quite well. I'm contemplating buying a Eye-Fi, too.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I have the adapter and it works quite well. I'm contemplating buying a Eye-Fi, too.
You go first then

Kodak Z950
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:08 PM   #4

I don't see why it wouldn't. You could probably get it from amazon and return it if it doesn't work.
I digress, but Eye fi seems pretty crippled (unless you have portable wifi like myfi or an android smartphone). I considered getting one but the dpreview convinced me otherwise.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Last edited by mrpete; Nov 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:33 AM   #5

To be honest its novelty value. Another gadget.

Yes I am sad and do plan on getting a life soon..........but not just yet! LOL

Kodak Z950
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:42 AM   #6

lol life is short. Go for it.

Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:38 PM   #7

what could be better than walking in the house and having the images transfer to your computer as you put down your bag and take off your shoes? similar to the transfer of workout data from the garmin wristwatch to your pc. it's just so convenient. i'm waiting for the price to come down a bit and the GB to go up. i could tell the eye-fi developers that they have too many models and it's puzzling to understand the differences (why won't the basic transfer raw?) but they have their ways. if a competitor comes in with an sd card that just transfers whenever you're near the computer, i.e: that just does the job, they'll clean up.

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Nov 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:50 PM   #8

I like the concept, but the feature that would sell me would be the use of unencrypted networks for transfer. Or if I get a myfi it would be nice. But dpreview sums it up nicely:
Only works with associated access points which have no additional 'login' layer (ie. only home / office access points, not public access points) and this can only be carried out with the Eye-Fi Manager software running on a computer

Requires a good WiFi signal to work properly, has less range than typical WiFi devices
Uploads each and every image taken, no ability to select which images are uploaded

Uploads full size images to web galleries (it would have made more sense for the Eye-Fi Manager to provide the option to resize incoming images

For single images, demos and entertaining transmission times are acceptable, however if you came home with a card full of images (2 GB) it would take three hours to download all images (if the camera battery could last that long)

Requires that the camera does not power off otherwise obviously transmission is interrupted

Unknown additional impact on camera battery life

Performance is made to look pretty poor in comparison to most cheap USB 2.0 card readers which can manage ~10 MB/sec (some fifty times faster than the Eye-Fi card)

No Compact Flash version (yet)
I dunno, it seems more novelty right now. But when I heard of the idea I have to say I was pretty excited about the possibilities. As always, it's when you read the product description you become disappointed.

By the way, I googled and these were the first results:

So Eyefi disclaims use with adapters, but a guy with an XTi had some success. Then a guy with an a300 had none. So make sure you can return it.

Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:14 AM   #9

You can select what images are uploaded:

"pick what you share
Don’t want to share it all? All Eye-Fi cards come with the Selective Share option. Once enabled, you can use the “lock” function on your camera to pick which photos and videos you wish to transfer wirelessly. Only those items selected will be uploaded."

As is said its a bit of a novelty and I usually share all my photos on Facebook anyway. I am also planning on doing a 365 project next year so the uploaded amount of photos will not always be huge.

Kodak Z950
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:19 AM   #10

I didnt know that kind of memory card! Looks interesting! Does any body know if it is compatible with Panasonic fz38? What might be the drawbacks?a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote