Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:44 PM   #1
Banned

Default Which is the best camera..

Which is the best camera..it is for long short.......
ssapmakranthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssapmakranthi View Post
it is for long short.......
I'm not sure I understand what this means?

In general though there is no single camera that is "best" at everything. If you're looking to buy a new camera, I would suggest creating a post in the "what camera should I buy" forum - include the types of photography you want to do (be as specific as possible) and include your budget as well as desired features (i.e. are you looking for non-DSLR, DSLR only, pocketable, etc...)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:54 PM   #3
Administrator

That new member is a spammer, and probably isn't interested in cameras. ;-)

At the time you replied, the poster's signature contained links to online gambling sites, and that poster has now been banned (so that the signatures won't show up in posts anymore if you have display signatures enabled in your profile).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:00 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

In addition to spam in the signature, that poster was also making use of hidden links in the post contents (set to white on white text so that it would remain invisible to readers, yet still picked up by search engines to improve page rankings).

I've now removed those links from the posts.

That's becoming a common technique used by spammers (hiding links in text by using white text which isn't viewable unless you edit the posts and view contents outside of the forums' WYSIWYG editor). You can also highlight text using a mouse to see those types of hidden lihks. It's never a dull moment here (I remove a *lot* of spam every day). ;-)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:15 PM   #5
Administrator

BTW, we have an anti-spam filter that catches most of that kind of thing, and I usually don't leave spam posts. In this case, it didn't catch it, and I thought it was interesting enough to comment about.

I've now submitted this member's information to anti-spam databases, blocked all links to the [three different] gambling sites being promoted (so that they'll automatically be filtered by forums software, even if someone joins using a different member name, e-mail address, IP address, etc.).

I do that (leave spam posts from time to time) to set examples, so that spammers know that if they post here, they can expect to do more harm than good (with the sites they're trying to promote being filtered automatically by more forums that are starting to use anti-spam services).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:23 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
BTW, we have an anti-spam filter that catches most of that kind of thing, and I usually don't leave spam posts..
For example, our Spam filter just caught two new threads (*after* I made that last post) from another new member. We do that kind of thing often every day (delete spam posts caught by the filters).

Because the new member was already flagged as a spammer by other forums, our spam filter caught it (it's filter is based on "learning algorithms" that look at post contents, links included, e-mail address, IP address, etc.). So, I was able to delete the threads before they were visible to other members. It's a never ending battle with these guys and gals (spammers), and sometimes, the spam filter doesn't catch all of it (as in the case of this thread). But, because the info has now been reported to centralized anti-spam services, a number of other sites subscribing to the same anti-spam services won't have to see that spam if the the same spammers try to post elsewhere.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:56 AM   #7

Glad you're on the case. These people are the scum of the earth.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:21 PM   #8

Ditto. Spam is annoying enough on my wesite, whih has about 10 readers.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote