Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Movie..."Lord of The Rings"

I know this is not a digital subject (but digital effects were used) but if you have or have not seen the movie "Lord of the Rings" you should....great movie and printed on "FUJI" film. No other film can give the contrast and quality FUJI delivers!! enjoy your holidays!! :lol:
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:24 PM   #2

FILM? How archaic. :P

While I enjoyed the first 2 LOTRís, I found the third to be overly long, verging on the boring. It should have been cut down by half. Even though they did a credible and I think faithful rendition, I still prefer reading the books to the movies.

I know I probably upset the diehard movie goers out there :twisted: .

As for film (it is still used for some jobs) our studio uses Agfa or Kodak for product work, the color is much more realistic to Fuji's oversaturated renditions.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 3:53 PM   #3

It may have been projected from film - complete with all the usual film artefacts like frame & motion judder, hop,weave, blemishes, reduced resolution on distribution prints, reel colour matching etc.

But I'll bet most of the effects were digitally mastered never touching film and it won't be long before similar movies are distributed over satellite and projected from 2k/4k electronic projectors connected to servers, WITHOUT the film frame motion and projector artefacts. Film distribution is incredibly cost and labour intensive so costs need to come down, more theatres opened for smaller more diverse showings and profits increased. Roll on blue ray HD Dvd. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 9:22 PM   #4

I have to agree with both of you two.

They will get rid of film for the distribution method of movies. It will go satalite or some close network with heave, heavy security (that will occasionally be broken.)

As for the movie. The book was better. They cut out many of the things in the book that added depth to the characters. Ya, ok.. they kept the king/steward going nuts. But they cut out a love story (well done in the book, I thought.) They removed Aragorn going into the city early to help heal Eomer (and all that set into motion.)

Yes, the battle effects were amazing. Truly. But the movie lacked the depth and character interaction/development that the previous movies had.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
While I enjoyed the first 2 LOTRís, I found the third to be overly long, verging on the boring. It should have been cut down by half. Even though they did a credible and I think faithful rendition, I still prefer reading the books to the movies.
Actually, they did cut it down. The DVD will be about 4 hours long.

I agree with your statement about books. My mom used to make me read the book before I saw the movie it was based on, but, well, I am a big boy now and my LOTR books are on the shelf, and I'll get to them one day! Maybe I'll get "The Chronicles of Narnia" read before those come out in movie form!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:22 PM   #6

Default PRODUCTION CRANE SPOTTED DURING THE FILM

Maybe i was mistaken, but i'm pretty confident about this.

There was part of the movie when the Faramir's army rode out to meet the orcs at the fallen city.

When they rode out from that big white fortress, i could have SWORN i saw a film production crane (not the bird), in the background.

i will have to see it again to verify, as it was only on for about a second.

if this is the case, it could be the :shock: GREATEST EVER blooper :shock: in the history of blockbuster filmmaking. and i spotted it. there would be an incredible controversy and in fact, could threaten Jackson's career for life.

that said, it was a damn good film
malcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:39 PM   #7

Default Re: PRODUCTION CRANE SPOTTED DURING THE FILM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcez
Maybe i was mistaken, but i'm pretty confident about this.

There was part of the movie when the Faramir's army rode out to meet the orcs at the fallen city.

When they rode out from that big white fortress, i could have SWORN i saw a film production crane (not the bird), in the background.

i will have to see it again to verify, as it was only on for about a second.

if this is the case, it could be the :shock: GREATEST EVER blooper :shock: in the history of blockbuster filmmaking. and i spotted it. there would be an incredible controversy and in fact, could threaten Jackson's career for life.

that said, it was a damn good film
LOL! :lol: Well, remember the car in The Shire from FOTR? Well, they edited it out on the DVD.

For those that don't know what I am talking about, there's a scene in FOTR when Frodo and Sam are leaving The Shire, there is a car in the background.

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1778
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:29 PM   #8

I read the books quite some time ago, 20 years or so. I have also seen the first and second movie (going to see the third tonight! ) Anyway, my point is that there is so much detail in the books that you couldn't possibly cover everything, even in a mini-series. I think Peter Jackson did a fantastic job considering the approx 10 hours he had to squeeze everything together.

On another note Peter Jackson certainly shows George Lucas a thing or two about movie making. GL is taking a total of 9 years to make 3 movies about a story to which we already know the outcome. It's just my opinion but he should have left the Star Wars series alone, E1 and E2 were awful and I won't waste money on E3....I'll by a lens filter or something instead
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 5:38 PM   #9

Peter P

Quote:
FILM? How archaic
can you name one Digital movie production camera?

a 35mm and especially a 70mm master in film still produces a far superior image over a wider variety of conditions compared to any digital device available today.

and as far as films length i could have gone for a few more hours and it wouldn't have bothered me a bit. compared to the books there was quite a bit of licence taken to keep it down in time. personally i can't wait for the extended DVD to come.

the lion, the witch , and the wardrobe was a BBC series at 174min

prince caspian and the voyage of the dawn treader again a BBC series running 174min

and so on as the chronicals of narnia.

so c.s. lewis is also available for the your visual pleasure. not quite the same impact though. shot on video. just like Dr Who which looks also to be making a comeback too.

as i have said many times. those who can, do. those who can't, complain. they are commenly referred to as critics. some do it well the others a will not comment on.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:51 PM   #10

Nope, but I'll say it again, FILM how archaic, it will be around for a long while yet, but it is only time till it is gone.

And I still say while they did a credible job in making the movie, at places the third LOTR dragged on.
Yes I also buy the extended editions

As for the films you listed, it is personal taste but I woulden't bother with any of them except Dr.Who.

?? non sequitur
Quote:
as i have said many times. those who can, do. those who can't, complain. they are commenly referred to as critics. some do it well the others a will not comment on.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote