Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:35 AM   #1

Default In your opinion, what is the best digital camera? And what does the industry use?

I am currently pursuing photography as a hobby and I am interested in possibly a career. I would like to have a camera that would be reasonable for this. Anyone involved in the industry, what cameras are used? Does it have to be film? Because I prefer digital...Also, in general, what is the best camera, preferably digital?

illumibrite
howardrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:04 AM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3

There probably is no 'best' digital camera, as there is not 'best' automobile. If you have a defined purpose, you may be able to narrow down the range to a few, and then it is a matter of your preference. And keep in mind that with each new product cycle, all the models seem to be getting better, so a top of the line camera from 3 years ago would just be middle of the road today.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:37 AM   #4

The cameras used professionally are wide and varied. Oftentimes they are the equipment supplied by your employer - if you work for a newspaper or for a studio owned by someone else. Sometimes if you're in a very demanding field, the high demands might require medium format or large megapixel full frame cameras. For some types of jobs - like professional sports shooting it is advantageous to invest in a system with a wide array of professional bodies, lenses designed for sports work and professional service agencies as can be found for Canon & Nikon. But for portrait, wedding, fashion work you'll find people using any of the brands in a professional capacity. Mostly out of personal preference. Some people prefer to use prime lenses so they choose systems based upon the primes - others prefer zooms so they choose a different system because that system offers zooms in the focal ranges they want at a high level.

But even at the top end there is no single camera that's better than the rest at everything.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5

What's the best car? Mercedes S-Class? Ferrari 599 GTO? Bentley Mulsanne? Hyundai Sonata? Ford F150?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6

The best camera is the best camera you can afford.

Last edited by Ordo; Nov 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
What's the best car? Mercedes S-Class? Ferrari 599 GTO? Bentley Mulsanne? Hyundai Sonata? Ford F150?

Yugo GV FTW!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
07+ Toyota Tundra.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:54 PM   #9

I think, the best camera is better chosen by avoiding certain kinds of setups and cameras. 1. Avoid any extendable lens cameras. But don't think because it's a 'normal person's camera' that it's bad because it's too normal. If you want to be a good photographers you must have a camera that you keep with you and shoot constantly. Thats' my opinion. With that in mind you can narrow down which cameras not to buy easier than which to buy. -- The 'good' camera you will want is always going to be there for sale. What isn't going to 'be there' is you, with a working camera if you don't get a basic good camera and begin shooting now. A camera that has a fixed zoom lens and between 5 and 8 mp (real mp not calculated ) is the kind of camera to get today and begin to shoot. . If it's got some noise no one will care if the photographer is good at seeing photos. IF you want to be in a studio, today, making money then in my opinion you're not a photographer but a business person selling a commodity that could be hot noodles or hat's that say, "I am here". That kind of behavior has noting to do with which camera and everything to do with having a plan and money lined up for 30 days, 3 months, 1 year and contacts who won't steal but are sharp enough to help you make money after they make their money. - If you're who or what I think you are.. why not spend $500 or $600 for a setup with a flash, batteries, camera with 1 good zoom lens , and use what money left over to take a trip. Hang that camera around your neck and shoot it until your fingers bleed. Then you'll be doing, what I think, what you want to be doing. The money will come.. -- That advice required , probably, 20 years experience to get .. haha. And .. I'm sorry but it's worth what you paid for it. (not to diminish the value). I think it's worth $10,000 or $20,000 ... Ahh. write back in a few years. I'm headed to Europe to do what I just told you
to do.
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote