Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default My nikkor 80-200mm lens a bit out of focus. Can I adjust that?

Yeah I just bought a used Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8 Lens. Just tried to take some pics now, the images are really good, but I noticed that it seems to focus just abit fearther back on every pic with the auto focus.

I mean, if I take a pic of my GF:s face, the focus seems to be on here ears. If I take a pic of a car, from behind with a slight angle. The focus isn't on the side of the rear bumper or the taillights, it´s on the side of the car, maybee like tha door.

I only tried the lense out @ F2.8. Maybee that could be a problem aswell? Is there any setting you can make on the camera maybe? I use a Nikon D90.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2010, 3:43 AM   #2

Maybee cause I have the camera set to focus in "3D" or what its caled, could that be an issue?

And I also think that shooting in 200mm without a tripod may be an issue to. Need to try it with a tripod. Just have the gorillapod tho now when I´m travelling.

Last edited by Istvan84; Nov 22, 2010 at 3:51 AM.
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:55 AM   #3

Sometimes it's worth looking at the simple solutions first.My 18-200mm has a manual overide focus ring in front of the zoom ring.Therefore it's possible to rotate it slightly by accident.It happens if I give my camera to someone else to use from time to time.Also are you using the correct focusing point in the view finder, perhaps you have an off centre one selected but are thinking you are using the central one.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Deadshot -- delighted to see you've the same configuration (D5000 with 80-200mm 2.8 Nikkor) that's causing my apparent back focus problems. Yes, I was foolish enough to buy the D5000 unawares it wouldn't AF with the 80-200, but I manual focus mostly anyway. The dastardly demon, though, is that tack-sharp focus in the viewfinder or Live View inevitably create images where the focus—in shallow 2.8 DOFs, let's say—is always about an inch deeper and thus softer. I get ears instead of eyes, stems instead of blossoms, dirt granules instead of bug backs. But I'm unable to find ANY online guidance how to correct or recalibrate or otherwise remedy this infuriating and intolerable problem. I'll deeply thank anyone who can direct me to help, specifically: "How To Beat the Back Focus Out of the AF ED 80-200mm 2.8 D on a D5000".
Tbonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:08 AM   #5

One thing that can interfere with getting manual focus to work right, is the setting of the diopter adjustment of the viewfinder. This is critical. It should be adjusted to provide a sharp image of the VF info. Best way is to aim camera at a blank wall or sky, and with both eyes open , looking at the wall or sky, turn the adjustment wheel to get the VF info as sharp as possible. This corrects the VF to your vision. If this procedure isn't done, first, you will find it very difficult to get correct manual focus. This isn't to say that it definitely is your problem, but it could contribute to it. brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonicus View Post
Deadshot -- delighted to see you've the same configuration (D5000 with 80-200mm 2.8 Nikkor) that's causing my apparent back focus problems. Yes, I was foolish enough to buy the D5000 unawares it wouldn't AF with the 80-200, but I manual focus mostly anyway. The dastardly demon, though, is that tack-sharp focus in the viewfinder or Live View inevitably create images where the focus—in shallow 2.8 DOFs, let's say—is always about an inch deeper and thus softer. I get ears instead of eyes, stems instead of blossoms, dirt granules instead of bug backs. But I'm unable to find ANY online guidance how to correct or recalibrate or otherwise remedy this infuriating and intolerable problem. I'll deeply thank anyone who can direct me to help, specifically: "How To Beat the Back Focus Out of the AF ED 80-200mm 2.8 D on a D5000".
I haven't got the 80-200mm, slight misunderstanding there.
I dont know if this will help but if you go into page 156 of your D5000 manual you will see Rangefinder set up info.It shows lines representing how much you are focused in front of or beyond the object you are trying to focus on. It may be possible for you to find the amount of lines you need to get the exact focus,then you can use the rangefinder to focus with each time.You can see the Rangefinder working in the VF.Not as good as recalibration but my guess that would require a workshop visit.= $$$
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:24 PM   #7

Deadshot:
1. Correction noted, thanks.
2. Off to page 156 and Rangefinding.
Thanks to the forum for investing time and experience here.
T
Tbonicus is offline   Reply With Quote