Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:04 AM   #1

Default Photo Books

What do you think of them ? Worth the money considering the quality and convenience ?
How many do you own ?
Or do you prefer the old-fashioned photos from film ?
Or you never print any of your photos and keep them in a digital format ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between PPI and DPI ? I'm confused...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Pixels Per Inch

Dots Per Inch
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4

I'm a fan of photobooks for certain projects. The final product is much preferable to an old style photo album with photos inserted. Less bulk and no worry about photos slipping out. And you have better flexibility to design layout and caption. That being said, it takes more time than inserting photos in a sleeve and it isn't cheap. So I do both - normal album for photos throughout the year but I'll do photobooks for family vacations. Shutterfly is probably the best combination of value / quality / flexibility I've seen.

As to the difference between dpi and ppi - dpi refers to a printed image (dots per inch) while ppi refers to digital image (points per inch). The terms are used interchangeably in a lot of instances. In a normal computer screen you can't see any more resolution than 72 ppi. Whereas in prints you certainly can. But that's a whole different discussion. A good rule of thumb is you want at least 250 dpi resolution for a printed image.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
In a normal computer screen you can't see any more resolution than 72 ppi. Whereas in prints you certainly can. But that's a whole different discussion. A good rule of thumb is you want at least 250 dpi resolution for a printed image.
Yeah, that's where the confusion starts...FujiFilm makes very HQ photo books here in Switzerland, but they told me to make sure my photos are around 300 DPI for good printed image quality !
So how do I find out the DPI of my pics, since Photoshop only shows the 72 PPI ? Do I have to convert numbers and stuff ? I'm not very good at math...

For example, how many DPI does 72 PPI represent ?

If I resize my image to 300 PPI, Photoshop creates a HUGE photo ! (without much quality loss I might add)
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:46 PM   #6

Hey Marawder,

As this is not a question easily defined by those of us who do not "tech speak, I have found some good references for you:
First, start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch
and some good reading here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/2/89347
Hope this helps you Frank
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Yeah, that's where the confusion starts...FujiFilm makes very HQ photo books here in Switzerland, but they told me to make sure my photos are around 300 DPI for good printed image quality !
So how do I find out the DPI of my pics, since Photoshop only shows the 72 PPI ? Do I have to convert numbers and stuff ? I'm not very good at math...
The 300 DPI they are talking about is at the size it will be printed. In this case, pixels and dots are the same, so an 8" x 10" print would need to be 2400 x 3000 pixels. 300DPI is suitable for close viewing, so this sounds reasonable for a book. Prints to hang on walls are not normally viewed from as close a distance, so don't have to have as high a resolution.

In photo editing software, you should be able to just change the resolution without resizing. I don't use Photoshop, so can't advise on the exact way to do it for you.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:35 AM   #8

Thank you so much guys...I had already figured it out when I was talking with the guy from the store 2 days ago !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:12 AM   #9

I love photo books! like johng I use for event type things... trip, graduation, bday..... I even did one where I scanned all my mom's old black and white photos and gave it to her as a gift. They are well worth the money you can put up to 250 pics into one book and play with the layout. shutterfly is where I do all my books. Their quality is great!
kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:30 PM   #10

Happy New Year guys !

So I received yesterday the photo-book that I ordered 2 weeks ago...

It looks cool at first glance, and I'll give it an 6,5 out of 10...the photos are just a hint darker in tone, but the thing that annoyed me the most was the slight blurriness, noticeable mostly when viewing at a very close range !

The things that lack sharpness/look like they've been heavily noise-reduced/suffer from a surface-blur effect are water areas like lakes and rivers, and even some buildings + the under-exposed parts of a photo !

Resolution of the photos was 301 DPI and they were very sharp...

I even tried printing a photo (on plane paper) with my own desk-jet printer...the colors weren't that great, but the entire picture looked very sharp, including the water ! If you put it next to the photo printed on the album, as I said earlier, it looks as if it was exaggeratedly noise-reduced ! Thus, many lack great detail, since there wasn't that much noise to begin with...

I specifically mentioned that my images are not to be edited in any way...what the F*UCK ? I actually expected magazine-quality prints...

I'll definitely have a very long talk with Fuji about this !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Last edited by Marawder; Jan 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM.