Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Shooting in Tiff vs. Jpeg

Merry Chistmas everyone.

I know similar topics to this have been dragged up before so I hate to re-hash it, but I am just now begining to get into the digital editing side and need a bit of assistance. My camera will only save images in jpeg or tiff (no raw). I like shooting in jpeg as tiff saves extremely slow on my camera and it eats up more CF space. I realize that jpeg uses a lossy compression and if you keep saving a file over and over, the quality will degrade. My question is, if I shoot in jpeg, save my files as psd while editing them and only save it as jpeg once the edits are complete, will I still get good quality prints as large as say 8x10 or will I notice a big difference in print quality using tiff as my original image source. My camera is 4MP so I know from this stand point my camsera is more than capable of creating 8x10 prints. If jpeg will do great under these conditions, when would I need to shoot in tiff.

Thanks for the input.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:50 PM   #2
-jb

You should be fine... Just keep the .psd file as your new master...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:59 PM   #3

When I shoot in jpeg to save space I will immediately save the"keepers" as a tiff file right from the digicam's viewing software to the computer before I even do any editing.
If I'm shooting a really "special"shot and I want the best quality possible I will shoot it in tiff or raw format right in the camera even though it will take longer to process and use more space. Afterwards I can switch back to the jpeg format for regular shooting. In most instances I think the highest quality jpeg versus the camera's tiff or raw format there probably isn't that much difference between the two, especially considering the difference in file sizes, however there is a difference and if you need the highest quality from the get go use a tiff or a raw format when you take that "special shot" especially if you think you're going to want to make a large print.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy
When I shoot in jpeg to save space I will immediately save the"keepers" as a tiff file right from the digicam's viewing software to the computer before I even do any editing. ...
That is fine if the purpose is to remind yourself that you want to make further saves as TIFF, but you should make a copy of the original photos exactly as they came from the camera without editing, format change, ... whatsoever. Those are your digital negatives - don't mess with them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:09 AM   #5

After a while, when you've looked at plenty of pics from your camera at 200-400x, you will start to see that the've really offered you a high quality JPEG option which is best for most 'average' scenes (although my gripe is they should allow you to control the compression ratio). However, when you know there is lots of scene detail - trees landscapes etc, you learn to recognise the scene criticality in advance and shoot those in slower larger TIFF. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:29 AM   #6

[That is fine if the purpose is to remind yourself that you want to make further saves as TIFF, but you should make a copy of the original photos exactly as they came from the camera without editing, format change, ... whatsoever. Those are your digital negatives - don't mess with them.[/quote]

BillDrew's point is well taken.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:34 PM   #7

Quote:
That is fine if the purpose is to remind yourself that you want to make further saves as TIFF, but you should make a copy of the original photos exactly as they came from the camera without editing, format change, ... whatsoever. Those are your digital negatives - don't mess with them.
I gave my gf hell for messing with an original from our cam. Now shes good about _not_ messing with cam originals.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everybody. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems if I want to shoot and edit regular shots, such as family photos, I'd be fine shooting in jpeg to produce 8x10 prints. Where I'd probably want to shoot tiff is shots with a lot of detail like close ups, posibly some landscapes.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 2:40 AM   #9
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdparker
Thanks for the replies everybody. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems if I want to shoot and edit regular shots, such as family photos, I'd be fine shooting in jpeg to produce 8x10 prints. Where I'd probably want to shoot tiff is shots with a lot of detail like close ups, posibly some landscapes.
You want to shoot everything in the best format possible.

However, if you shoot in the highest quality jpeg and only edit it in Photoshop once, you'll still be able to make quality prints...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdparker
Where I'd probably want to shoot tiff is shots with a lot of detail like close ups, posibly some landscapes.
Yes, but lots of us would think you only need do that for 'the unrepeatable shot of a lifetime', and jpeg will almost always do.

Take a look at the thread around http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...820&highlight=, which is one of many similar ones here discussing this issue. It's very much a matter of personal preference. If you are the guy who used to retouch every blemish on your 20x16 exhibition prints so that the judge needed a magnifying glass two inches away to detect them, you need tiffs. I like lovely big prints, but my standards are much lower.

I find that even in 'economy' jpeg mode on both my digicams, I'm hard-pressed to detect the differences when I view them against tiffs pixel by pixel. I'd have to keep resaving jpegs as jpegs again and again in multiple sessions in an image editor to hit any trouble.

As this means I take up one-tenth of the space for my backups and archives, and on my memory cards when away from home, I use jpegs all the time.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote