Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:14 AM   #1

Default I need help selecting a camera.

Hello. I need some help in selecting a new digital camera. I have been wanting one for quite some time now and have christmas money set aside to finally make a purchase, the only problem is I have no idea what I want/need.

I will be using the camera for family photos (sports, parties, the usual) and also for hobby. I would like to keep the price under 600, but if I have to go over that to get a great camera I wouldn't mind paying extra for quality. I am new to the digital photo world. I was looking at the canon rebel, but that may be just too much for me to begin with. I like the idea of being able to change lenses, but I might be better off sticking with a point-and-click camera (if you feel otherwise, please let me know). I know very little about lenses, but would love to learn. I have been looking at these models so far (prices from newegg):

OLYMPUS C5060WZ 5.1MP,4X OPT,3.5X DG,1.8"Lcd,xD/CF/MicroDrive
Price: $599.00

OLYMPUS C-750UZ 4MP,10X OPT,4X DG,1.5"Lcd,xD
Price: $477.00

NIKON COOLPIX 5400 5.1MP,4X OPT,4X DG,1.5" Lcd,CF/MicroDrive
Price: $578.00

Sony DSC-F717 5MP,5X OPT,2X DG,1.8"LCD,MS
Price: $800.00 (getting expensive :-)

Are these cameras considered good camers for the average user? I don't mind a high learning curve (actually I like a challange!) and would like to get a camera that is a great bang for the buck.
Which would you recommend? If it's not on the list, feel free to give me other suggestions. (actually, please do!) Basically, I want a camera that will last me a few years, is fun to use, and of course will give me wonderful pictures. If it means I have to spend $1000 then so be it, although I doubt it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help!
Digiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:48 AM   #2

From the ones that you listed, I would either get the:

Olympus 5060
or
Nikon 5400

To me, there is a big diffence between 4mp to 5mp. 5mp's will really make some nice 8x10 and bigger. But most of my picking is from brands I have owned. Olympus was my main camera brand for some time. Highly relable, great picture quality, etc. The only reason I didnt hang around with them was at the time they didnt have any "Real" SLR's on the market. But then yet again I probably wouldnt have gotten one even if they had only because they have a unique connection for their lenses.

The Nikon would be my #1 choice out of your selections. Nikon has and always will be the widely known camera in the world that produces the best images and quality of its lenses. I would have to say I would pick up the Nikon right away...

As for Sony "ack". Go back to selling Stereos and Tv's ops:
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:00 AM   #3

You Can't go wrong with a Nikon, however I just bought a Sony f828 ("ack" :roll: ) Actually I'm having a great time with it. unlike most digital cameras it actually feels and handles like a real 35mm camera. The pics I've seen from both Nikon, Sony, and Canon have been among the best I've seen from digital cameras. Plus you can't beat a Carl Zeiss T* lens that comes with the Sony f828.

As far as UnisonBBS's feeling toward Sony, I happen to like that little melody (not in stereo however) that the Sony makes when I turn it on :lol:. Just trading from a Minolta DiMage 5 :twisted: I can understand a person's bias towards certain brands.
With all the choices in digital cameras these days it's an awfully hard choice to get just the right camera. If I had to choose from your list, however, I would get the Nikon 5400. In fact I was just about to buy a Nikon digital untill the Sony DSC f828 caught my eye and after reading the various "pre production" reviews and going to a camera store and getting some "hands on" familiarization I decided to take a chance.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4

I would choose the Nikon 5400 from your list.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys. One more question. Since you are all in favor of the nikon, is there a large difference between the Nikon Coolpix 5400 and the 5700?

I noticed the 5700 is running a 100 dollar mail in rebate right now. That makes it a little more appealing at 746-100=646, compared to the 578 price tag for the 5400. So basically I can upgrade for 68 dollars.

Also the sony has 110 dollar rebate, which puts it at the 689.95 mark.

This forum is leading me towards the Nikon, but I have a big decision to make!

Sony DSC-F717 5MP,5X OPT,2X DG,1.8"LCD,MS - $689.95
-OR-
NIKON COOLPIX 5700 5MP,8X OPT,4X DG,1.5" Lcd,CF/MicroDrive - $646

Decisions decisions... I guess I'll have to see if a store has both and how I like them.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:38 AM   #6

I have the 5700 and it is an amazing camera. The 5400 is 28mm at the wide end vs the 35mm for the 5700. The 8X zoom was one of the attributes I wanted to upgrade to when I purchased the 5700. The manual control over the camera is great.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:42 AM   #7

And the 5700 will suit a pretty much beginner like myself?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:51 AM   #8

The 5700 is not a good point and shoot camera. I have been using digital cameras for seven years and I have experienced a learning curve on this camera. The experience was worth the effort for me.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:20 PM   #9

Ok, that really is something to think about. Thanks for the info.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:37 PM   #10

Default I need help selecting a Camera

Just curious--
It seems that the opinions of those who answered the question of
Nikon 5400, Olympus 5060 or Olympus 750 that the one to purchase is the Nikon. Why? Is this just a gut feeling or is there a logical thought behind this. I've thought of these 3 cameras also, tried all in my hands at a local store, and each "felt good" read good and bad about all of them, and I am waiting for the "bolt of lightning" to point the way.

Thanks in Advance

PS
Harley Guy
What do you ride?

Kuip
Kuip is offline   Reply With Quote