Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:31 AM   #1

Default Dropped my cam and the lens popped out of the camera. Help!

Hi there !

(sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec)

So here is the problem...

At my family's Xmas party, I dropped my oly c-4000 while it was on.

The little "barrel" or the "scope" (sorry I dont know how to say it in english) that goes "out" of the camera when you turn it on (lens I think ?) went out of the camera due to the shock against the ground.

here is a link you can click on the see exactly what's gone out of the camera... so u can understand more what I'm saying here...

http://64.141.102.88/camera.htm

Fortunately, nothing really broke. I can still turn the camera on and take pictures (even if they are really really blurry since the len is not there anymore..), and look at the picture on my memory card and all this stuff...

I don't think it's a MAJOR problem but I'd like you to tell me some advices on what to do...

So, I'm wondering if I can go to a digital camera shop and have it repaired... The lens (or the scope.. u know... what goes out of the camera when u turn it on...) is out of the camera itself but it is not really broken ... the pieces are intact...

Can I ask a guy at the digital camera to fix the scope and the lens back on it as it were before I dropped it ? Do I have to replace the lens and the "scope" ?

Please help me! Since I'll surely need to buy a new len, could u recommend me a good len ? I'm ready to put 75-100 dollars in it. Note that I'm just a newbie, I don't want some professionnal stuff hehe

thanks a lot for any help you could provide
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:35 PM   #2

I think you will need to return the camera to Olympus for repair. They will provide you with an estimate for repair of the camera. If you have a local camera repair shop they may be willing to repair the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:36 PM   #3

How much will it cost approx ? have any idea ?

is it a major problem ?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:39 PM   #4

Olympus will provide you with a free estimate. Yes the problem is major.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:43 PM   #5

The camera is still working, I can turn it on, look at the pics on my memory card and take pictures (even if they are really blurry because the lens are not there anymore..)

I think it's a better idea to go to a local camera shop before sending to olympus... This way I could save the shipping fees and the "waiting"... Besides, I think olympus will charge me a lot more than a local camera store...

what do u think gibson ?

Can I buy another lens or the is the lens attached to that barrel that popped out ?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:15 PM   #6

A good jeweller might be prepared to attempt a repair, if the camera is outside warranty. The problem comes if a part is broken - and that must come from Olympus.

It's not just a problem putting it back, it will need alignment and testing.

And yes .......It is a serious problem. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:19 PM   #7

A Jeweller ? I can't figure how a jeweler can fix digital cameras..more specifically a broken lens?
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:00 PM   #8

Jewellers/watch repairers have the physical eye skills, hand co-ordination and dexterity to take apart small delicate mechanical items and put them back together again after the've been broken! Some Engineers like myself can do this sort of thing as well. They also have the right sort of tools and eye magnifiers to see what they are doing! BUT they can't always buy Olympus parts or test your camera afterwards.

Perhaps with such catastrophic damage to your camera you should get an estimate from Olympus and decide if you wish to pay for the repair or buy another camera!

When your back is to the wall and you have little choice, perhaps thinking of your digital camera as a dumb machine full of plastic, glass and electronics built by humans or robots, rather than having a soul, makes for creative solutions to seemingly impossible problems. If you've got the guts and skill for it, check this out for ideas:

http://www.digsys.com.au/S602Z/S602Z.html

VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:22 PM   #9

Man... I'm a little bit depressed right now!

I didn't know that this damage was that bad.

If Olympus tells me that this is a severe damage and that it will cost like 250 to repair it, what should I do ? It's an olympus c-4000.

First of all I think I'm gonna ask the local digital camera store around my town if they can repair it...

I paid the c-4000 479.99 and it would suck to pay half of that price to get it repaired...

If the repair price is too high, I may consider buying the c-5050 with my tax return this spring... I already have the batteries & the charger, the card reader, a 128 smart media card and a case to carry it... So I would just neet to buy the camera (less expensive..)
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:36 AM   #10

Olympus has a toll-free phone number. You can find it on their website. The main number listed there is 1-800-622-6372.

My guess is that it's going to cost over $100 and under $200. That's only a guess, based on past experience. If you find that for a little over twice the repair cost, you can get a whole new camera, that might be a better idea to consider.

You can only see the fact that the lens broke off the camera - there may be all kinds of additional damage inside the camera.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote