Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:03 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default My new website

Hi all,

I'm in the process of creating a new website and the bulk of it is now completed. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the way it is so far, ease of use, any obvious mistakes, things I should add etc to make it better.

I've only included 3 galleries for now which are all samples, I'm going to be adding 'real' galleries for each shoot I do all of which will have online purchasing. I'm also working on the packages and pricing so these are yet to be added as well.

All help, ideas and opinions really appreciated.

www.marksmithphotography.biz

Thanks,

Mark
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:55 AM   #2

Hi I have had quick look around and the links on seem to work and I found it pleasant to look at. I think you have done a very good job well done. Grant
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:47 AM   #3

It is a lovely, well-crafted, professional site. I just wonder whether some folks might not like more text explaining what happens when they hire you. You might explain a bit about how you work with a wedding -- when you need to be involved with the couple, what kinds of time commitment they would need to allocate to working with you, what you would be trying to find out about them and the venue, etc. Similarly for portrait and sports photos. Many potential customers would have never hired a photographer before, and would likely want to know what is involved. And just about everyone would probably want some sense of how much money is involved in hiring a pro, what their options for the final product would be, who owns the photos, etc.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Great site, very user friendly.
I have only one suggestion about something that stood out to me right away. The slideshow on the front page. Is it possible to mix the photos a bit more? The first 10-15 shots are all from the same wedding. I think a little more diversity in the type of shots and from multiple weddings would really show off more of your skills.
Other than that, very well done.

EDIT: I now see that the front page slideshow is just taken right from your sample galleries that you upload. With more galleries in the future, will the be automatically mixed? or will it go right through in the same order?

Last edited by ewheeler20; Nov 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks guys. I've just added a quick test photo that allows ordering, this is password protected for now with the password of 'forum'. Please tell me how the order process looks but obviously don't order

I will be getting proper ordering when galleries are set up with ordering. As for pricing there will be a page with pricing ranges included, I don't think I will give a total price list online but rather discuss in person.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Regarding the gallery, I couldn't decide the best way to do it if I should go for groups or split out more. What are others thoughts on this?

My theory for this method was to show variety within the same wedding rather than I only get one shot that is good from each wedding and nothing more.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:48 PM   #7

Good looking site, Mark. It is well laid out, and easy to navigate. Regarding the gallery: If all the samples are from the same wedding, people may get the impression that is all you have done. And, of course, if you go with similar shots from multiple weddings, you aren't showing your creative side. Dilemma. Mixing it up seems like a good possibility. Regarding ordering: All seems to work well, and is easy to understand. From the point of view of someone who deals with different print formats, though, I wonder what the different size prints will look like. Is there a way for you to show, for example how the photo would be cropped for a 5x7 print, or is that entirely too big a bucket of worms to open? Much luck, brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:03 PM   #8

I think your site is easy to navigate and looks great. The only thing I would mention is that on your "search" page, there is a lot of black. Possibly put your logo or something additional on the page ? Just my thoughts.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Thanks guys. I've just added a quick test photo that allows ordering, this is password protected for now with the password of 'forum'. Please tell me how the order process looks but obviously don't order

I will be getting proper ordering when galleries are set up with ordering. As for pricing there will be a page with pricing ranges included, I don't think I will give a total price list online but rather discuss in person.
Mark, I think it looks and works great. Are you going to have a select all when ordering, so if you have a lot of shots for what ever function, and then maybe an (x) do dis-regard the few they don't want?
I would think maybe for prices, you have weddings start at $XX, just to give a ballpark on price. Just a thought that could spark someone thinking, gee...that is not a bad price...which could make the contact, then go from there...just a thought as a consumer. Site looks great.

MarkG
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:29 PM   #10

Out of pure ignorance about hiring professional photographers, can customers buy a DVD of all the photos you take? As a customer, having the digital files of the photos would be way more valuable to me so i can look and see all the photos of my "wedding" as a slideshow on a computer. In this digital age, actual prints are becoming pretty outdated.