Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2003, 3:47 AM   #1

Default battery life ???? plzzz need some help desperately

after doin alot of research n borin the hell out of everyone out here , i finally got the sonys p72 . it is an amazin camera ,wid good pic quality , though not as good as the nikon (4300) i previously owned , but in some places the pic quality of both the cameras could be compared wid one another . i like the coloe effects that the it offers such as sepia , B & W , and loved th negative one
Now comin to the question ------ im goin to the himalyas for a week (7days) or sooo and out there they dont have any pins or plugs to recharge the batteries and other stuff , so i wanted to know how many extra batteries should i take , assumin im usin the camera extensively , most of the time wid lcd on ????? i already have 3 extra pairs of sanyo 2100mah batteries excludin the one wid the camera ?????
plz give some suggestions as i need some help desperately as im leavin by the 2 or 3 week of jan .
thanz anywayz for ya suggestions ( in advance )
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:29 AM   #2

Default Re: battery life ???? plzzz need some help desperately

This is a really hard question. Why? Because each camera uses power at a different rate and each person uses his or her camera in his or her unique way.

The best advice I can give you is to suggest that you determine how many pictures you get from a set of fully charged batteries and then match the battery count to your picture storage capacity.

To use an easy example. Assume for the moment that you are taking 4 memory cards and each set of batteries will last through 2 memory cards worth of pictures. You need two sets of batteries (plus one reserve). These figures, of course, are totally hypothetical and won't relate to your experience, but you get the idea.

One other thought. I am not familiar with the Sony, but it sounds as if it uses AA cells. If so, are they going to be available where you will be? If you are going on some sort of tour, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that both 35mm film and AA batteries will be available - - expensive, but available...

Regards,
<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman
after doin alot of research n borin the heck out of everyone out here , i finally got the sonys p72 . it is an amazin camera ,wid good pic quality , though not as good as the nikon (4300) i previously owned , but in some places the pic quality of both the cameras could be compared wid one another . i like the coloe effects that the it offers such as sepia , B & W , and loved th negative one
Now comin to the question ------ im goin to the himalyas for a week (7days) or sooo and out there they dont have any pins or plugs to recharge the batteries and other stuff , so i wanted to know how many extra batteries should i take , assumin im usin the camera extensively , most of the time wid lcd on ????? i already have 3 extra pairs of sanyo 2100mah batteries excludin the one wid the camera ?????
plz give some suggestions as i need some help desperately as im leavin by the 2 or 3 week of jan .
thanz anywayz for ya suggestions ( in advance )
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:29 AM   #3

Default Re: battery life ???? plzzz need some help desperately

[quote="tedj101"] would bet dollars to doughnuts that both 35mm film and AA batteries will be available - - expensive, but available...

dude thats the problem ill be goin to complete barren lands no site of any human civilisation ( the place im goin to is next to Mt. EVEREST ) n hence no chance of gettin AA batteries out there . im takin 3 - 256mb memry stick pro and 2 - 2x128 mb memory stick which i thin will be sufficient for my trip , and i have heard many ppl say that AA is less effeicient in cold ??? the batteries last me about 150 - 170 mins wid lcd and i turn off the cam. wen not required ????
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:24 AM   #4

O.K. I am just a novice, but how much do batteries cost?

It would seem to me that if this is a once in a life time trip, the expense of a few more sets of batteries (which you would eventually use anyway) would be well worth it. And they don't weight that much.

It 's better to have to many than not enough.

Just my 2 cents.

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:19 AM   #5

If your Sony uses AA batteries, would a solar battery charger help? Or a wind up charger? Probably these kind of charger can only charge an AA 1600 mA batteries, but even such could save the day.

Imho if you fill your backpack with batteries it could prevent you from hopping around. Hence my advice to check the performance of unplugged AA chargers.

And yes I'm writting this green of envy; May I offer myself as battery charger?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:23 AM   #6

I recently made a trip to India. Despite the fact that I can't find any offiial notice about it anywhere, the airline inspectors there will seize any "loose" AA-batteries you have in your camera bag.

They did this twice - in Bombay they took two sets, which I never got back, and in Madurai they took a set that I forgot was in my bag - although this set I did get back when the plane reached Bombay.

Apparently if the batteries are "in" something - anything - it's OK to carry them onboard, but if they're in a plastic baggie, you're going to lose them. So, if you want to carry extra batteries with you, make sure you buy some kind of "thing" that they can be put in, or they'll be taken from you.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:34 AM   #7

The confiscated batteries were in handlugage or case in planes cargo space?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:46 AM   #8

You are obviously going to want to take sufficient NiMH rechargeable AAs with you. Standard alkaline batteries end up being very expensive as they donít run a digital camera for very long.

First spend some time learning to use the camera. You bought a point and shoot camera and there is no reason to have the LCD on when you are shooting unless you regularly frame your shots with the LCD rather than the viewfinder. You might review shots of an especially important scene occasionally, but after using the camera for a while you can feel pretty confident most shots are OK.

Once you learn to shoot with the LCD off, format all of your cards and fill them by recharging your current batteries as necessary. Figure how many charges and batteries it took to fill all the cards and take that many plus a couple extra sets. You will probably want to review your pictures in the evenings and the batteries will lose a little charge on their own. Batteries are cheap enough compared to cameras and memory that I would personally take 3 sets more than I calculated I needed. NiMH batteries lose a small but significant portion of their charge every day whether you use them or not. I would suggest you top off all of your batteries the night before the trip.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyers
I recently made a trip to India. Despite the fact that I can't find any offiial notice about it anywhere, the airline inspectors there will seize any "loose" AA-batteries you have in your camera bag.

They did this twice - in Bombay they took two sets, which I never got back, and in Madurai they took a set that I forgot was in my bag - although this set I did get back when the plane reached Bombay.

Apparently if the batteries are "in" something - anything - it's OK to carry them onboard, but if they're in a plastic baggie, you're going to lose them. So, if you want to carry extra batteries with you, make sure you buy some kind of "thing" that they can be put in, or they'll be taken from you.
i no , the security in bombay is screwed up (unfortunately im from bombay) but i have found a way to cheat these ppl , i cover my extra btteries in a blck cloth so they cannot be seen in the x-ray machine and never pack them in my camera bag but in my suitcase ??? juss a suggestion wen ya ever come down to india again
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:26 PM   #10

I visited twice last year - the photos from the first visit are posted here: http://www.forgas.org:1089/0/index/19140443844941887 I've got much better photos from my second trip, but need to reduce them in size a bit before I post them on-line.

If the batteries are in checked baggage, that's fine, but if they find loose batteries in carry-on baggage, they're likely to take them.

My next trip? Probably in the Spring of 2004.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote