Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:39 AM   #1

Default What is the best 3-4 megapixel camera??

Hi everyone, I am sure this question has been posted a million times. But with all the latest models released for the holidays, I wanted to ask it again: As far as IMAGE QUALITY and COLORS are concerned, which camera is the best?

I am also confused as to what determines the actual color quality. I ask this question is because I currently own a Canon Powershot A10 (1.3 megapixel). My roommate just bought a cheap Kodak Easyshare CX4310 (3.2 megapixel) from WalMart for about $100. We both took the same picture outside (of his truck) and his picture not only had much more detail, but the colors were much better as well. So is that because of his MegaPixel rating, or is it due to a different image sensor that the Kodak has?

Please advise. Thanks, -Ryan
ryedizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:17 AM   #2

by the way, my primary use for the camera will be for printing 4x6 photos with little zoom. thus, i dont need any fancy lenses or camera controls. i just want the camera that will give me the best picture detail and color in the 3-4 megapixel range.

i also don't want to spend more than $400 is possible. i was considering the Canon A80, but the difference in color quality between my Canon and my friend's Kodak scares me.

thanks again for your help in this matter.
-ryan
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:57 AM   #3

I'm still learning alot about digita myself, but I'll take a stab at this. Your camera does seem to be an older model so it could be that advancements in the sensors have been made. The MP count probably helps too if I can assume you were looking at prints. Thinks to look for in a new camera would be lens quality, MP count, (3 would do great for your 4x6 needs), startup time, shutter lag, battery life

This link will take you to pbase.com where you'll find thousands of sample Canon A80 picutures others have taken: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a80

Go here for Steve's full review on the A80: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a80.html

Hope I've helped some.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4

My fiancee has the Kodak 6490 or whatever it is... The compresion of the jpeg is alittle much but the contrast, color and fantastic. She has made some really nice photographs from that camera. Whats also really nice is the 38-380mm zoom I am very overall impressed with what it can do for the price. I also like the digital display for the eyepiece. Never seen anything like it. Its a little LCD inside the viewfinder that subututes the viewfinder. So your not just looking through the other side of the camera. Its kinda neat, its like an LCD SLR or something... 8)
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:24 AM   #5

I'm just an amateur concerning digital cameras, but I read a lot for stuff over different forums and I read a lot of reviews.

I would advise you to check the olympus c-4000.

This camera is a real bang for the buck !
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. I looked up the Olympus C-4000 on Cnet.com and they pointed out the following negatives:

"Some barrel distortion in images; lacks an autofocus illuminator; no sound capture; SmartMedia is on its way out."

Would you say that is accurate? Again, the most important feature to me is image quality and color. Either way, I will still consider it. However additional input is still welcome.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:56 AM   #7

By the way, I checked out those pictures on PBase.com. They were great. However, how come the file size is only 60-80 KB for most of them? Did they have to reduce the quality in order to post them to that site?
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:15 AM   #8

I'm not certain why they are so small, but it probably 1 of 2 things. 1. The posters, posted smaller files to get more on their site/ allow people to download them quickly

or

2. Software on the server side compresses the image to save bandwidth, ie faster response time.

I'm betting the 2nd. I have uploaded some 1MB files to fotopic.net and checked the file size later only to notice that they were as small as 60K. Help on their website said they had software to compress the picutures down based on the viewers internet speed to allow them to view the pictures in a timely manner.

By the way, look at this thread on the A80 if you are still interested in it.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=18712
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:54 PM   #9

The camera's megapixel count says NOTHING about image quality. Every part of the camera has to be good to produce good quality images, and just having a high pixel count is just not enough. The in camera processing, the lense, and the CCD/CMOS chip have to work together to produce the best images.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote