Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 Limited Edition

I see this is on Amazon today for $25, which seems like a good price. I have been thinking about getting Adobe Photoshop to play with pictures, but, obviously, this is much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Is it worth getting for a beginner? (If it matters, I am using a Lumix FZ40). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2

If you're running Windows, this is an excellent editor (and a GREAT price). It doesn't run well under Linux.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:16 AM   #3

I had paintshop Pro X3. It is a great editor, I was not fond of how it handled Raw data, but it was pretty easy to learn.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4

I have and use PSP X2. It crashes on launch on my 3 GB RAM computer, even when nothing else is running, about one time out of three. It crashes when performing image processing functions frequently enough to be genuinely aggrevating, but infrequently enough that the application is still useful. I didn't upgrade to X3 when I saw reviews that said that X3 was even more unstable than X2. I rather suspect that PSP is at the end of its product life, given the bad reputation that it has managed to earn in recent years. You can get Photoshop Essentials for under $50, so I suspect that it would be a preferable choice at this time. Maybe Corel will change its ways and the product will make a comeback, but it seems unlikely. It's a shame, because the product would be very nice if it weren't so terribly buggy.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:11 PM   #5

I think there is a difference between Paint Shop Pro and Paint Shop Photo Pro. The photo pro, is, IIRC a less fully featured editor, more like a beginner's version, and that is likely why it is priced so low. Take a look at the Corel site and compare them first, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:46 PM   #6

AFAICT, there is only one version of PSP. The different packages -- "limited edition," "pro," and "ultimate" have different useless crap thrown on the disk in addition to the main app, and sit at different price points to try to wring a couple more bucks out of the suckers for no good reason.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
I see this is on Amazon today for $25, which seems like a good price. I have been thinking about getting Adobe Photoshop to play with pictures, but, obviously, this is much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Is it worth getting for a beginner? (If it matters, I am using a Lumix FZ40). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I have been using Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 for a year now and it has been suitable for my needs, basic touch ups, etc. I too am basically a beginner when it comes to post processing. I have tried and still occasionally use Picasa, Irfanview, Paint.Net but Paint Shop has features which these don't have. I am still on the learning curve with the program and I tend to work through a lot of the processing with the manual in one hand. The price was also a factor when I purchased it. The Corel website periodically has some good offers on the pricing.

You can also download trial versions of Photo Shop etc to try and I think Corel also had a trial version of Paint Shop on their site. You might want to go that route before committing to purchasing it.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
AFAICT, there is only one version of PSP. The different packages -- "limited edition," "pro," and "ultimate" have different useless crap thrown on the disk in addition to the main app, and sit at different price points to try to wring a couple more bucks out of the suckers for no good reason.
It seems you're right. They have thrown the word 'Photo' in to the mix in different places for different versions, but it doesn't seem to mean anything in particular. My bad. I had been looking into Corel when they took over Ulead Photoimpact. Now, it seems PI is still available from another company called Nova Development, and Ulead is more in the video arena. The latest Photoimpact looks pretty good to me, and I think I will upgrade to it soon. Haven't seen it discounted anywhere, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:16 PM   #9

This program came free on my hp dv7 notebook. i've used it a little but can't say i'm good at it. in the longer term, i'll be purchasing lightroom or elements anyway. just to retain compatibility with the photo community. if i ever need to do something, it'll be far easier to find help for mainstream products. however, for $25, you can't go wrong.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:34 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies, folks! As Frank said, I figured for $25, it was worth a try.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote