Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:56 PM   #11

John G, I happen to agree with you. My wife has an android and my son has an apple iphone 4. I have an slr and just enough lenses to drown me if I fall in the lake.
Scenario: Wife runs in the back room and brings out a diaper, handing it to her teenage granddaughter. "When you were just a teeny baby you used to wear this!"

This will never happen, because we use Pampers... OK, bad analogy, but my point is, the iphone pics will be long-gone in a couple of years, while the "family photographer" with his ever-present camera will document everything for as long as he can hold a camera. And ensure the files are always backed up. Unlike Frank's 15 year-old girl...

Just my humble opinion!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
The iPhone comes nowhere near the IQ of my G10, let alone my 5D. I think we're some way from phone cameras taking over.
i dont see smartphones taking over from dslrs - no chance there but your g10? maybe not yet but give them 5 years and even now your iphone etc will likely be with you pretty much always but p&s.... well even if you like keeping it around most of the time bet there are times you dont
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:19 PM   #13

I somehow doubt I'll still be using my G10 in 5 years' time, but I do take your point.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:05 AM   #14

I am with the if you want it to last use a camera brigade. I have taken family shots for over 30 years now and I am still the only one in the whole family who does it. I still hear people say to me I must remember to take my camera with me.
Good job I was there a few Sundays back we had a confirmation in a church now we saw what pictures smart phones took they couldnt but the good old DSLR got the shots.
I think cameras in phones have a place but they have a long way to go. Now how about a phone inside a camera or a bluetooth link so you can up load a good picture straight away.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Now how about a phone inside a camera or a bluetooth link so you can up load a good picture straight away.
I think we'll see the blue tooth happen. It makes a lot of sense.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16

didn't samsung release a 12mp phone camera a while back but only in korea? basically a dedicated point and shoot affair with optical zoom etc etc and happened to have a basic phone functionality thrown in?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:36 AM   #17

I keep up with technology well I have to in my job and I see the point of most things including camra phones, they have a place.
What Digital Camera a UK based magazine did an article on them and compared several using A canon a495 as base. and there conclusion was that the camera phone had a way to go before the image quality caught up with a p&s camera.

Last edited by wave01; Dec 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
and there conclusion was that the camera phone had a way to go before the image quality caught up with a p&s camera.
I don't think that's a surprise. But again - we're talking about millions of people that just want to send a tiny little picture on a hand held device - viewed on a hand held device and discarded after a couple viewings. There's a threshold of 'minimum quality' that I think the phones are over now. Are they quality pictures? Not really but good enough for the purpose.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:31 AM   #19

On Flickr, have a look at Photos taken with an Apple iPhone group. 350k images: lotsa junk but also some wonderful photos.

Pretty obvious, but the best thing about a cell phone camera is that it is a camera that you have WITH YOU.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:29 AM   #20

This last Tuesday I was at my Daughter's class potluck/clown show. All of the kids were dressed up and putting on skits. It was amazing to me how many of the parents were using thier cellphone cameras to record these images of thier kids. I carry two of the newer gen smartphones (yeah I know, but work insists) and thier image quality is just not that great. Out of the twenty five families (60 non-second graders) there, there were 3 DSLRs, 1 kid with a film SLR, 7-8 point/shoots and about 10 cellphones being used. distance from subject was about 15-30 feet. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote