Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Smartphones replacing point-and-shoots

Just an interesting article on what is happening with smartphones and the impact on the digicam market:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-Sma...49571.html?x=0

I know so many people that fall into that category of they want to take a snapshot and share it right away. I happen to disagree - I want photos that 20 years from now I can go back through and enjoy but I don't represent the masses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2

Very interesting indeed.

I myself find that most all of my friends and family (even myself at times) use their cell phones to capture quick snapshots to send via MMS text message or upload to Facebook. It's just more convenient.

If only these cell phones had a somewhat capable camera in them, then I could see them having a more dramatic affect on the point-n-shoots. Even your simple $150 or less digicam still outperforms just about any of these smartphones, in terms of speed and IQ.

I mentioned we should start reviewing these smartphones a few years ago, and am hoping we can start in the not so distant future.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Just an interesting article on what is happening with smartphones and the impact on the digicam market:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-Sma...49571.html?x=0

I know so many people that fall into that category of they want to take a snapshot and share it right away. I happen to disagree - I want photos that 20 years from now I can go back through and enjoy but I don't represent the masses.
I'm with you, John. But that attitude of instant gratification virtually defines our society now. I've often wondered if our literature and records will survive long-term, now that everything is digitized. Not quite like the record-keeping of the Greeks and Romans, eh?

BTW... I posted this same article a few days ago... maybe we should merge the two strings?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...artphones.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4

Sory I didn't see that Biro - hopefully we'll get them merged. I think the role of "familly photographer" is much like the role of a parent - in that the importance of the role is not appreciated by the subjects until much later. My son is 4 now and I can look at my albums or my computer and see photos of him every month during the first couple years and every couple of months thereafter as well as every birthday or christmas party or vacation etc. My grandma was big into albums, my parents not as much - so there are huge gaps in my childhood with no photos of the people/places. There isn't the instant gratification that my nieces/nephews and my girlfriend's family get by sharing pictures on cell phone but 2 years after the fact it's the album (or online gallery) of the 'family photographer' that helps them relive the memory.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:32 PM   #5

lol started a topic on this topic not that long ago too - guess alot of people feeling p&s days are numbered - i'm kinda on the side that says p&s are becoming irrelevant - my iphone 4 takes a pretty impressive photo to be honest
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:41 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I use my iPhone 4 camera alot to document silly things I want to MMS to a friend or family. and it takes pretty good HD video that I can edit in iMovie and email/mms, etc.

but if anything goes on the internet or any real memories, I get the real camera. For me, I do find myself using compacts less though, if its just to share something silly I have my iPhone, but if I want to present it, I have my little m4/3 EPL1 that can go with me about anywhere.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:47 PM   #7

One thing that this current generation is missing is the long term memories. this point was touched upon above and, to me, this is very important. i have maintained the extended family photosite the last bunch of years and it was always difficult to get others to contribute pictures. they love facebook posting but aren't so good at the archiving part. you know there's no 15 year old girl making backups. just the way it goes.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:50 PM   #8

i dont see iphone replacing dslr's for creating lasting memories or great images and art but i do think that an iphone can capture more than silly snaps useful only for facebook - no there are places you can take your iphone that you cant take a dslr and with camera phones rapidly catching up on point and shoots i dont see why i would ever buy one except perhaps a waterproof one since you can achieve similar results and no doubt in time that gap will narrow further
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:11 PM   #9

the Iphone certainly takes quite good video, at least for up close interviews. Whether those videos are something people will want to look at in 20 years, as compared to the "timeless" snapshot is another matter. One things for sure people will have their smartphone with them at all times. They will be less likely to have a P&S with them.
ozboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:30 PM   #10

The iPhone comes nowhere near the IQ of my G10, let alone my 5D. I think we're some way from phone cameras taking over.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote