Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Advise for purchase of SLR camera

I need advise on which camera to purchase. I will use the camera to take photos of youth sporting events. Currently I am using Panasonic digital cameras and love the results, but I want more control over the shots and more zoom. I will be shooting indoors, without flash, for basketball and outdoors for the other sports. During the daytime there isn't a problem with the photos, but at night without flash I have to do a lot of adjusting using photoshop. I am hoping by using a SLR camera I can avoid having intensive use of photoshop. I am currently thinking of purchasing either the Canon Dital Rebel or the Sigma SD10. I would like to know which camera would better meet my needs. I would appreciate any advise that you can give me, thanks.
sfgumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 5:39 PM   #2

Here's a couple of things to consider -

The sigma shoots only in RAW mode, you will have to take an extra step to convert these into something a computer can print. You mention that you want to avoid a lot of work in photoshop - do you want to take the extra steps of converting from RAW files all the time?

some people always do, some do sometimes, some never shoot RAW files...

Because you have to shoot RAW files you'll get a lot less images on a given memory card. Either you'll have to buy a big card or more likely buy two 1GB cards if you want to shoot more that 200 photos at an event. I can easily take 200 shots in two hours while hiking - at a sporting event I'd likely take more if I was there as a photographer not a spectator.

At fast shutter speeds the SD10's sensor seems to be pretty good - Canon seems to win the race on long exposures. But you're not going to be taking a 30s exposure at a sporting event.

The plus side of Canon is that you'll have a wider selections of lenses: Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Canon (plus others) make lenses to fit an EOS mount. The SD10 can only use lenses from Sigma that fit the Sigma SLR mount. Around here I only know of one store that sells Sigma SLRs and the selection of lenses is limited. There's no used market to speak of either.

Some websites steer people towards nikon or canon because they are available everywhere and you can rent lenses in these mounts reasonably easily. This may or may not be important for you.

Sigma SLRs seem to have better 'manual' setting ergonomics than the Canon Rebel lineup. They seem to be closer to the 10D and Elan 7 then the Rebel. How important is that for you?

If I were to start from scratch I'd likely stay with the Canon lineup because no-one local sells Sigma SLRs. That's probably different for you. What I'm trying to say is that I'd be making the decision for non-technical as well as technical points.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:56 AM   #3

Default Selection Suggestion

Thanks for your input, but I was wondering if those two cameras are my best choice for taking action shots in low light without flash. Do you have any suggestions on cameras that could better fill my needs? I would like to keep my purchase to around $1500.00 if possible.
sfgumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:30 PM   #4

Default Re: Selection Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgumbo
Thanks for your input, but I was wondering if those two cameras are my best choice for taking action shots in low light without flash. Do you have any suggestions on cameras that could better fill my needs? I would like to keep my purchase to around $1500.00 if possible.
You need to look beyond the camera. The lens that you attach to the body will be the determining factor for action shots in low light without flash. You will need a fast lens capable of whatever telephoto you will need. I would think you'd be looking for a 200mm f/2.8 or longer with similar speed.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote