Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:23 PM   #1

Default How can I format my camera on the computer?

You see I just got a Kodak Z812. When I turn it on it said ''Internal memory requires formatting''. So the obvious thing to do would be to format it, so I press ok, then it just goes back to the same ''internal memory requires formatting'' screen. So I thought if I can format it on the computer it would fix this problem.
gt3corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:31 PM   #2

doubt it. the "internal memory" is not the removable memory card which is best formatted in camera anyway. it's INTERNAL. hence:

Format the internal memory of the camera:
  1. Press the menu button.
  2. Select Setup.
  3. Select Format.
  4. Select Internal Memory.
  5. Press OK.
  6. Press OK to continue
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
doubt it. the "internal memory" is not the removable memory card which is best formatted in camera anyway. it's INTERNAL. hence:

Format the internal memory of the camera:
  1. Press the menu button.
  2. Select Setup.
  3. Select Format.
  4. Select Internal Memory.
  5. Press OK.
  6. Press OK to continue
Thx for the reply, but you see, I can't get into my camera. I just get the format memory screen over and over. It won't let me in the camera.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:27 AM   #4

Sounds like a job for customer service.

From Kodak's United States Telephone Support web page:

Quote:
Consumer Digital Cameras, Digital Video Cameras, Printer Docks, Photo Printers, and Accessories Phone Support
Live telephone support is available in English and Spanish at 1-800-235-6325, 9 A.M. to midnight, Eastern Time, Monday through Sunday. There is no charge for telephone support.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Sounds like a job for customer service.

Been there done that. They don't have a clue and they don't even know that much.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:07 AM   #6

You may want to try this
http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answ...dows-operating
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:51 AM   #7

Flash memory devices always have more capacity than they say they have. They use that extra capacity to automatically replace failed memory location as they occur. Over time, that extra capacity is dimished, and when there's no more to be had, the flash memory device reports an error. I think it's possible that the internal flash memory has failed, and the only way the camera knows how to deal with it is to require you to format it before it will go any further, but that obviously will fail, so the camera again deals with it the only way it knows how, which is to have you format it.

You could try the firmware upgrade (or refresh) that JustinThyme suggests, but that could make the situation worse, though I can't imagine how.

I think it's FUBAR. Time to go shopping.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:03 AM   #8

I don't know if this will work with Your camera or not, but it may be worth a try,

Take out the battery, and leave it out for a day. Remove memory card. Replace the freshly charged battery, and, while holding the menu button down, turn the camera on. If you are now able to access the menu, reset the camera to factory defaults.

Another possibility is that the battery, even if freshly charged, may have a weak cell, and not have enough voltage to operate the camera.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I don't know if this will work with Your camera or not, but it may be worth a try,

Take out the battery, and leave it out for a day. Remove memory card. Replace the freshly charged battery, and, while holding the menu button down, turn the camera on. If you are now able to access the menu, reset the camera to factory defaults.

Another possibility is that the battery, even if freshly charged, may have a weak cell, and not have enough voltage to operate the camera.

brian
Thx guys! I will try this as soon as I get my KLIC-8000's. I was using AA's. I don't wanna have to open it.

EDIT: Oh and I can't install the firmware because I can't copy it to my camera. The Easyshare software reads the camera is 0MB capacity and won't let me download it to the camera cause it said I do not have enough space.

Last edited by gt3corn; Dec 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:01 PM   #10

I'm sure someone on here has got a answer.