Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2003, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Nikon 995 vs. Fuji FinePix S5000

I had a Nikon 995 digital camera and really liked the features it had. Unfortunately, my Camera broke recently and through the Best Buy replacement plan, I was given a Fuji FinePix S5000 as the most "comprable" replacement. When I look at what I paid 2 years back and the features of the Coolpix 995, I feel like I should have received the Fuji FinePix S7000 as the most "comprable" replacement (I'm comparing beyond the megapixel size and zoom).

I can't figure out if I was short changed through my replacement plan because of the lack of expertise of Best Buy employees. It seems like I did.

So....should I stop my whining and just be happy with my replacement or should I go and argue for a more similar camera to what I had?
vkhamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:34 PM   #2

What do the details of the extended plan indicate? Comparable features or comparable price? If the later, then yes, they cheated you, either through ignorance or dishonesty. Take your pick. However, the feedback at first glance of a google search does not look favorable:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...arranty+policy

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 4:57 PM   #3

Actually, it's based on a similar features and not price. No doubt that picewise, they screwed me. However, did they screw me featurewise? Or did I get a good deal out of the exchange?
vkhamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 5:13 PM   #4

Well, based on features, the S5000 is comparable only with the 'MP' specification. However, the S5000 is very different in nearly eery other way, I have used both the CP990(nearly the same as 995) and the s5000... the cameras are just very different. I personally prefer the S5000, but it requires more post processing work then the CP995, but the s5000 also has more potential in overall image quality if you take the effort to learn how to optimize the s5000 images in post process. The CP995, IMO, creates better quality images 'directly' out of the camera without requiring post processing. However, if you only print up to 5x7" prints, their will be no real difference in resolution/sharpness, between the two regardless if you use the cameras' internal processing or perform post processing.At this level, though, the s5000 will have very different dynaimc/tonal range behaviour(since this is not size/scale dependant, this will always be a factor). Somepeople appear to dislike the look of FUJI SCCD images because they do not have as much 'pop', per say. However, this is easy to change in post process, but you can't go the other way(add tonal/dynaimc range that was never captured).

What are your shooting habits? If you don't like the camera after a couple of weeks, I would say you should definately take it back, mabye look at a Canon or something. I don't even know if Nikon still makes a camera like the 99x, I think the last was the CP 4500 in tht style, but I'm not sure if that is still a current model. Heck, the Nikon 5400 is more directly comparable to the 99x then the Fuji s5000. I don't know how they chose the s5000 as a comparable replacement?!?! On the argument of MP, heck, tell them they should give you a Foveon SD9 or SD10..... heck, they aer '3MP' cameras. lol.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote