Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
maybe the canon xsi can only do it in live view:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page10.asp

I checked my camera....The live view function is set at "ON"... how do I go to Optional "thirds" grid lines overlay ..?
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:35 PM   #12

I don't know of any camera that can show a grid in the viewfinder, because it's software generated. Compacts can do it, and probably most DSLRs that have live view when in that mode.

I have to say the "rule of thirds" has always seemed to me a bit of a non-rule. I always frame subjectively so it "looks right", and never follow rules written down by others. There are times when exact symmetry is called for, but on more occasions they will make a picture look a bit mechanical and contrived. The happy balance only comes with experience.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:55 PM   #13

It's a rule of thumb. That is, it's a starting place, where you look at the frame, and alter the composition before pressing the shutter button. Where the image ends up may or may not be a strict interpretation of the "Rule of Thirds", but it's just a way to get you to think about composition and put the subject in the center of the context instead of just in the center of the frame.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:08 PM   #14

Most of the rules of photography are in the nature of guidelines. The only really hard and fast rules I can think of are -"Remove the lens cap.", and "Get the shot." (prior to digital, there was also " Make sure there is film in the camera.")

Have a Happy Christmas, (or Holiday of choice) everyone.

brian

BTW, many DSLRs have user replaceable focus screens, with available ROT grids and other specialized screens.

Last edited by VTphotog; Dec 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM. Reason: added info
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:12 PM   #15

This "rule" is not new to photography. It has been known by painters for eons. literally. we can use it to make pictures more appealing to the eye, or not. but that doesn't change the fact that it works. Now, anything done to excess may not be so pleasant. Anyway, for beginners, it's a good place to start.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
The great advantage of using digital is that you don't have to believe anyone' advice. Work out what the possible shooting/framing modes are and shoot lots of pictures systematically using the different rules. I think you'll see for yourself which works best.
Peter has it right: don't believe anyone's advice, do your own experiments. The advice often is a good guide for what experiments to do.

In this case, try overshooting and then cropping. Overshooting means having a lot more in the frame than you figure on ever using - something like figuring that a focal length of 100 mm will give the shot you want, then zooming out to about 50mm.

Then crop so the main point of interest is in various positions and see what works best.

You will be throwing away a large number of pixels, but this is an experiment in framing, not resolution.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I don't know of any camera that can show a grid in the viewfinder, because it's software generated. Compacts can do it, and probably most DSLRs that have live view when in that mode.

All midlevel and above Nikons (D80, D90, D5k, D300 etc) all have gridlines available in the viewfinder. I used to have the N80 film slr and still have an f100 that also has viewfinder gridlines.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Most of the rules of photography are in the nature of guidelines. The only really hard and fast rules I can think of are -"Remove the lens cap.", and "Get the shot."
I have known some folks who would have been well-advised to violate these two rules...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote