Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:15 PM   #1

Default Foreign bodies on D40x mirror... how do I remove them ?

I just received a Nikon D40x and before I mount the lens I see some foreign bodies on the mirror. Looks like dust or small lint particles. I have one of those Rocket blowers but have never used it yet. What's the safe and proper procedure for using this blower ?

If the blower doesn't remove them, then what ?

Is there a risk of these particles coming loose and lodging somewhere else behind the mirror ?

Thanks !
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:10 PM   #2

Yes, a rocket blower may dislodge the particles on the mirror, and they may settle somewhere that you really don't want them.

Particles on the mirror don't affect image quality or the operation of the camera in any way. If you really want to remove them, be very careful. The reflex mirror is a front-surface mirror, and is easily damaged. I'd use a Q-Tip soaked in distilled water, rotating the Q-Tip as I swiped it across the mirror. I'd replace each Q-Tip after using it just once, to avoid scraping the mirror's silvering with the particles I removed with the last swipe.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes, a rocket blower may dislodge the particles on the mirror, and they may settle somewhere that you really don't want them.

Particales on the mirror don't affect image quality or the operation of the camera in any way. If you really want to remove them, be very careful. The reflex mirror is a front-surface mirror, and is easily damaged. I'd use a Q-Tip soaked in distilled water, rotating the Q-Tip as I swiped it across the mirror. I'd replace each Q-Tip after using it just once, to avoid scraping the mirror's silvering with the particles I removed with the last swipe.
Agreed. In my opinion, it's not worth the time, effort or danger. The mirror is very easily damaged, and it's a lot cheaper to live with a little dust that has no impact on anything, than to pay for replacing a mirror.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:19 PM   #4

A micro-vac or attachment for regular vac, in conjunction with the blower, will help keep the dust out of the rest of the camera, if it bothers you.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote