Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:01 PM   #1

Default photography prices

i was wondering whats a decent price to charge people to do pics for them like for on location shoots i was thinking around $40 is that resonable for the shoot and a disc with all the pics taken
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Someone who is producing professional levels of work would be looking for a lot higher price than that, I'm talking in the hundreds of dollars as if they chose to give a disk then there is no further money to be made from prints etc.

Best thing to do is find local photographers who are producing a similar quality of work to you and see what they are charging.

If you are going to charge people for your work is it of a standard that you should be charging for (I can't say that I've seen any photography you've done in this area to have any clue) and do you have all the kit (at least 2 of everything essential) to be able to keep shooting if something goes wrong. I've always had backups, and until a couple of months ago they were not needed, but part way through a wedding my primary lens threw a wobbly so I grabbed the backup and kept on shooting. If I hadn't had that I would have blown an entire wedding and ruined my reputation.

If you don't have the shooting skills or kit then hold off charging until you do.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
i was wondering whats a decent price to charge people to do pics for them like for on location shoots i was thinking around $40 is that resonable for the shoot and a disc with all the pics taken
Assuming you have the skill and equipment to pull this off, $40 isn't even close. You have to consider travel and time required to do the shoot and post process the images. Do you have insurance that covers error and omissions or the cost to reshoot should something go terribly wrong?? That costs money. Don't get into doing paid jobs until you are sure you can do it perfectly and have the equipment and protection should something go wrong.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:56 PM   #4

Well right now im only starting out doing local people ik not trying to make a ton of money just a few bucks here and there like a good friend of the familys son is gonna need senior pics done
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:47 PM   #5
Super Moderator

My personal advice is if you don't feel good enough to charge then don't, the expectations of the friends etc will rightly be a lot higher and leave you little or no room for mistakes. There is nothing wrong with charging friends less but I wouldn't want to lose friends over my work if things went wrong.

This might not happen, but I would always be very cautious. The first 2 weddings I shot after working with a pro for experience were for free. This took a little bit of the pressure off and meant that if something went bad they hadn't paid anything (things didn't go bad as I had the experience already just not being out there on my own).

I've just looked through some of your recent threads and seems you are still at the beginning of your learning with the composition and editing. Just shoot lots and practise nailing exposure and composition then move onto posing. Until you have these in the bag I don't suggest any money changing hands. Invite friends out for shoots on location in many situations, they get some photos (good or bad) and you get the essential experience.

I would suggest posting some photos that you've taken of people so they can be critiqued, as long as you take it with the way that it is intended (to help you learn) then the critique you get will be invaluable. I've been charging for my work since 2007 and still have a very long way to go. For me it is mainly the flow of shots and shot variety to get everything covered well and in a timely way. Take your senior shoot that you are considering. Do you have enough shot ideas for the locations you will use with the different lighting? Do you understand the different ways of posing/lighting a man compared to a woman?

This is not about telling you not to go ahead with this, but the way to find ongoing and willing people to work with to help you learn. If you charge and do a bad job you are likely to get a really bad rep with your friends and that's not good.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:00 PM   #6

yea i understand completely what u r saying im so glad i can get advice on this site i did my brothers senior pics last year with my fujiflim s1500 i had they wernt the best but i got some practice but now with the d3000 i think i can get better results im going to go for it and like i dont wanna charge my family friend but she wont take no for a answer she wants to pay for my time and prints of her son lol and it should be easier to prac taking his cause ik him and it will be not so nerve wrecking
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:03 PM   #7

As Mark said if you have any doubts then dont charge at all.
$40 isnt even close. I charge a $200 deposit just for a 2 hour shoot. The deposit goes towards purchase, if they dont buy anything then I keep the $200. For digital copies the price goes up considerably as already stated once you give those up thats the end of the road on those photos.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:31 PM   #8

thanks for the input any more sugesstions
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post

Check a local news paper and see what photographers in your area are offering and asking.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:16 PM   #10

One thing to consider is if you charge a low price some people may view that your not very professional and theirfore don't feel youre good enough to charge more or wouldn't be able to get more money for your work. I know some wedding photographer around here that charge $1000 just to shoot and then have packages if you want prints and or a disc.

Even though I more an action and news shooter I would charge way more than $40 for a session/an hour....... I have done several family weddings as favors and after being begged each time since 2007 and every time I tell the bride that I need at least $100 to cover my gas and discs and expenses so I at least break even. With $40 your expenses may be higher than that depending on travel etc

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote