Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1

Default photography institute

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody had any input on the 24 week dipolma online course through photography institute is it worth the money or is it just a scam
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2

Can't speak to that specific program but in general the "diploma" isn't going to get you any jobs. I doubt any personal client spending decent money will be impressed by the diploma - your portfolio is what will impress them. If an editor for some reason requires a PJ degree, that diploma won't mean anything. Is what you will learn from the course worth the price? Tough to say. Not because of whether or not it is a scam - even legit Photography courses at college can be good/bad based upon the professor and other students in the class. If it's a couple hundred $$ it might be worth while. If it's a couple grand, I doubt it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:30 PM   #3

Its about$1000 and im just looking to leafn more and the instructor is george shepher I belive not positive
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:58 PM   #4

Are you aware that there are quite a few FREE online courses? You might want to look at them before you plunk down $1000 that MIGHT help you. Here's one that popped right up in a Google search - http://goo.gl/DW4O
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Dec 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:33 PM   #5

Thank u I never really found free ones that looked decent but I apreciate the help
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Also for what it might be worth do a search at youtube,com on various photography subjects and tutorials and you'll be amazed at what you will find and how good some of them are and they are all FREE

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:59 AM   #7

You could probably learn all the things you would learn on that course, by yourself using internet and books. All it takes is just a little selfdiscipline and lots of shooting. And have fun while doing it.

There are tons of information on the net for free. Look at blogs, forums, Youtube etc.

Best regards/Daniel

Happy new year
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:17 AM   #8

thanks guys and happy new year to all
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombz View Post
Hi guys I was wondering if anybody had any input on the 24 week dipolma online course through photography institute is it worth the money or is it just a scam
It would be rather difficult to know, without knowing what YOUR expectations are from taking a course like this are. What do you think it will teach you? What is the list of subject matter it covers? Can you get this same information for free somewhere and not get a diploma but save yourself $1000.00 that you might spend on some much needed equipment? What equipment are you going to be required to have for the course? How much more will that cost?

You must put a value on this yourself Zombz. Will you be a much better photographer when you finish the course? Will they teach you something that you can only learn there for some reason? What is a diploma anyway? It is only a piece of paper saying that you put in the time required to achieve the minimum that is asked by that particular facility to say you should have learned the basics of what they offer by the end of the course. What do you do if you already know the subject matter? What if you get absolutely no face time on an individual level with Mr Shepher/ Will it be worth it to you? You should take the time to ask yourself these questions before making a decision that could cost you $1000.00. or any amount of money for that matter. Will the course and diploma make you a bonified photographer? On paper, to the school, probably, but in the eyes of your peers (other photographers), I don't think so. Does attending Harvard somehow make one a great lawyer? No sir, the proof of your trade is in your work, not your education level.
You are best served by daily taking as many photographs as you can, checking your work, retaking and improving your shots, then taking some more and looking for ways to take common shots differently than others. Make a diverse portfolio, it will get you further in the field than a diploma ever will. Your ability comes from within Zombs, not from without. That does not mean you can't learn something from the works of others, and if asked, most will usually share their knowledge and learned experience or tricks, if you show potential.

There is more information online than could ever be contained in a 4 year course. The problem is that one has to work to find it. It will take effort and diligence, which in turn trains you in the art of good work ethics by showing you the rewards of applying those traits to your search and therefore your work. There is no magic formula for becomming a good or great photographer, even with a diploma, you still have to have the drive to go out and take more photographs.
If I came to your place of business with a diploma, and another guy showed up with a port folio of a diverse selection of work that physically shows his capeabilities, who would you hire? ..... Peace and good luck to you brother Frank
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:23 AM   #10

That was a really great answer Frank! Many good thoughts.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote