Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:58 AM   #1

Default Am I going to get bad results?

Ok, I decided to try out CafePress.com for selling print items (mousepads, t-shirts, greeting cards, postcards, etc...). I was reading the suggested image sizes for each product and was wondering if my FZ1 (2MP) is going to be enough?

I looked at the properties of one of my FZ1 pix, and it says 72 DPI, 1600x1200. If I wanted to do a mousepad, CafePress says, "...100-300 DPI, 800x950 (image size at minimum DPI)..." and if I wanted to do a postcard they say, "...150-300 DPI, 675x975..."

So, what kind of results do you think I'll get?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:31 AM   #2

Well, you have enough pixels. The dpi only specifies what size that pixel array will print out to (divide it into the actual number of pixels to see the print size in inches; or rather decide what size print you want from your X x Y pixel picture and set the dpi accordingly).

Hope you had a good Christmas, Neal.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson
Well, you have enough pixels. The dpi only specifies what size that pixel array will print out to (divide it into the actual number of pixels to see the print size in inches; or rather decide what size print you want from your X x Y pixel picture and set the dpi accordingly).
That's what I thought, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Plus, we both know what awesome results one can get from an FZ1. I went to Wal-Mart a few weeks ago to print some 8x10's just to see what they would look like and they were spectacular! My mom saw the pictures and said that she would like to commission me to make some prints for her. Well, she is my mom, so she has to like my work, but I figure that's a good start!

Quote:
Hope you had a good Christmas, Neal.
Thank you Norm, and I hope yours was blessed as well. I am still assembling the toys! My son got a rocking horse and it looks like it is going to require a rocket scientist to put it together!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote