Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1

Default International North American Auto Show

I'm going to the Internation North American Auto Show next week and I'm hoping to get some great shots while I'm there. I'm a bit new to the world of DSLR's and I'm getting the hang out it, but still learning. Any tips for exposure settings etc.. while I'm there. I've never gone so I'm not sure what the environment is going to be like.
Flickr / kristy barker photography
kr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:57 PM   #2

Selecting the correct lens and WB will be two pivot issues at the auto show. What camera and lens combination are you going to use? Also it may also be helpful to set a custom WB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:30 PM   #3

Well like I said, I'm quite new at this.
I have a Canon. I'm probably going to use my 18-55mm lens. WB I haven't decided. I was thinking custom. Might just play around and see what works best when I get there.
Flickr / kristy barker photography
kr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:31 PM   #4

Well the 18-55mmIS lens will work well, and custom WB is probably the way to go particularly is there is any colored lighting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:45 PM   #5

While WB might be an issue, it won't be the same all over the building/for all displays. So I tended to choose a WB that was reasonably close to the majority lighting and shot in raw (can always change things later in pp). Or else set a custom WB at each display (too much work for me).

I've only taken photos at the LA Auto Show, but what I found is that wider is better (lets you get close enough to the car to block out some of the crowds and still get the whole car in the frame) for cars you can get close to. Light levels are going to be an issue - some displays can be quite dark, so watch your shutter speeds. VR will help, but it does have its limitations. Watch out for overhead spot lighting and how the spots reflect off of the cars. If you can't avoid the reflections, try to use them creatively. It's very easy to get caught up with how pretty the cars are and miss the picture's distracting elements in the corners, backgrounds, reflections etc. As you can tell, I have a fair amount of experience in how NOT to take pictures at an indoor auto show, and few pictures that I actually like/thought worked out well.

Most important advice I can come up with is to have a great time, enjoy looking at all the beautiful shiny cars and the concepts, then have fun taking lots of pictures and trying all kinds of things (large and small apertures, different focal lengths, unusual angles (i.e., get low). You might end up with some surprising keepers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:45 PM   #6

The lighting at auto shows is usually bad - color spots and floods making bright reflections, but not enough ambient light. Crowds make getting the shot you want a bit difficult.
On the plus side, people are generally pretty respectful of photographers, and don't jostle you while you're shooting.(OK, it's been a while, that may have changed) The cars are fun to look at, and the models are pretty.
Go with the expectation of having a good time, and don't stress out too much over the pictures.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote