Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:59 PM   #11

Yeah, that is a nicer deall for 2 dollar more.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:00 AM   #12

I got it on amazon for 13. They have two, one under cameras and one under electronics. The music one is cheaper i think.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:01 AM   #13

I have found transcend cards to be very reliable. I recently went to upgrade my 300X transcend 8GB cards to 16GB and made the mistake of going for the perceived gusto and bought Sandisk Extreme Pro 90Mbs. OF all the hoopla that Sandisk is reliable and never corrupts data the first time I used it my data was corrupted, jpegs were fine but all the RAW files would not read. Im just thankful that I didnt loose the photos as I shot with a transcend 4GB SD in the other slot and recorded to both. Sent it back to B&H the next day and got two transcend 600x for less than the cost of one Sandisk. I have never had a transcend fail but this is strike 2 in my experiences for Sandisk.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:46 AM   #14
Administrator

Well... You see bad cards with any of them.

But, if I wanted a 600x type card, I'd go for a Transcend, too. They have much better "bang for the buck" compared to the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards for sure, and they test very close to each other in Canon models supporting the latest UDMA transfer modes.

Rob Galbraith has some tests of both in a 5D Mark II (which supports faster UDMA cards), and the Transcend 600x 16GB card was actually slightly faster in it compared to the [much] more expensive Sandisk Extreme Pro. But, there wasn't a lot of difference between them. Scroll down to the chart showing in camera write speeds at the bottom of the page, and you'll see a column for the 5D Mk II.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10043-10255

The Transcend has a lifetime warranty and is less than half the cost of the Sandisk. A 600x 16GB card is only running $71.99 at newegg.com right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208498

If you don't need the fastest cards around, you may want to look at the newer Transcend 400x cards, too. They're nowhere near as fast as the 600x cards, and tests I've seen show they're not as fast as rated.

But, they're still pretty fast, and you buy a 32GB 400x card for about the same price as a 16GB 600x card now. If you click on the feedback tab, you'll see some Canon owners commenting about them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208529
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:56 AM   #15

Thanks all of you for the answers. I think I will try a Transcend 400x card first. And then maybe a 600x if I find a need for it. Glad for the help

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:30 PM   #16

I just went to jr and picked up the card, could not resist the deal, 14.14 with tax. Now I have another back up with all the cameras I have.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:04 PM   #17

I have this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178302
on my T2i and it works well. At $28 for 16Gb it's the same price per gigabyte as the 8Gb card. I have found Sandisk and PNY to work well. I had a bad card from A-data once and that turned me away from the off-brands.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:26 PM   #18

Just got it and tried it out. Not bad, but still not as fast as the SanDisk Extreme III or Lexar Professional Class 6 cards I use in my D90.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:48 PM   #19

Try scotch tape in place of the write protector switch and see if that wil make the card work for you -- theirs n article on steves main page about that

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Thanks for the link.

I just had a Lexar Professional 8GB Class 6 SDHC card shed it's write protect slide.

It's too expensive to throw away and too small to be a door stop.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Try scotch tape in place of the write protector switch and see if that wil make the card work for you ...
Thanks, Dave.

I've thought about that. The card slot is pretty tight, and I wouldn't want to take a chance on the tape getting stuck in there, or it causing the card to get jammed.

I've been trying to find something I can superglue into place and trim to fit, but no luck so far.

The first company to not put write protect slides on their SDHC cards will get a customer for life.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote