Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Why are so many cameras missing manual setting options?

Panasonic and Casio allows fairly decent long exposure by using one of their pre-programmed courses, but that's the only way to tap into the features.

My Panasonic would let me do something like wide aperture with 8 second exposure on lowest ISO as part of "night scenary" mode. There is also a very specific scene setting that lets you do pre-set timing exposure up to 60 seconds.

So the hardware is capable of it. Why is it lacking firmware to allow me to manually get access to ISO, F stop and shutter speed manually? I can get pretty neat pictures from this camera, but its a hassle to fool the camera to get it to use the exposure settings I want.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:34 PM   #2

do the words "entry-level" help?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:02 PM   #3

It's sort of like Windows - they make it harder to use by making it easier to use.
If you understand that, there is a place for you in marketing.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4

I think there are many more people who prefer to just leave it on AUTO and let the camera figure out it. Therefore, the market caters to them.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
do the words "entry-level" help?
No. It costs nothing in terms of variable cost to simply add a menu item to allow manual exposure.

If my Panasonic would let me do focus, aperture and shutter speed manually it would be golden.

The Casio's "Best Scene" thing is the most cumbersome thing ever and have like 20 programs. If they would add one program that lets you manually adjust aperture, and shutter speed it would be great. Casio software is fairly good. I like the full range auto-focus (that goes down to macro), macro lock down (reduces focus time by limiting the range it will attempt to focus), pan-focus (it's a fixed distance focus, kind of like disposable camera, but its great at parties and such for having someone else take pictures or where its too dark for auto-focus to work properly) and MANUAL focus.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:25 AM   #6

ZS7 allows you to set aperture, shutter speed etc.. also has a full manual mode on the dial.
Is this waht you are looking for ?
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:52 AM   #7

No offense here, but I think you either have purchased a wrong camera (too simple for your abilities) or now you have grown up your skills enough to upgrade to next level.
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:30 AM   #8

@ronakg, I learned basic photography on an old old Canon G1, since that was all I could afford at the time that had manual controls (even though any similar priced p&s would have had way better IQ). Just because we are poor doesn't mean we should be ignored when it comes to manual controls.
I personally feel the same. Although sub $100 cams it woukd be fine, anything above that should have some kind of manual control.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:26 PM   #9

I'll try again. I think manufacturers have found out that entry-level cameras are used by entry-level people. It's not about discrimination against the poor. New p&s'ers will just get messed up and eventually throw away the camera complaining forever more that their "canon-nikon-sony-..." was no good. If you know more about camera usage they expect you to buy a more up-scale camera. This goes all the way to the top level. I wish they would put pro-features on my level of camera too. They won't.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:19 PM   #10

Frank is right - there are a lot of threads here that start off something like "Why doesn't my new DSLR take as good pictures as my old point&shoot?" The reason is that the DSLR is more adaptable to a wider variety of functions, and requires more user knowledge. Entry level cameras are intended to be used by those with little or no knowledge of photography, so are much simpler and more limited in functions. Besides which, it would cost the factory another 50 cents per unit to include a manual focus button (cost to consumer 50 dollars), and people would forget to enable the autofocus and complain about the camera.
There are cameras with the features you want, but you need to do some research to find them. If your budget doesn't allow the cost, check the used camera market.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote