Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:03 AM   #1

Default Multi format film scanners

I am looking for information concerning what is being produced to replace the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000. Since Nikon is no longer producing this scanner, is there anything that takes the place of the 9000 in versatality as well as cost?
Gbpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

No alas.

At the next level up there are the Hassleblad/Imacon scanners - I think these are around 3 to 4 times the price of the 9000.

At the next level down are scanners like the Epson V750 which is probably fine for MF to any reasonable size.

If that is not good enough for 35mm (it might be) then there is the new Plustek 7600 Ai.

A plustek and V750 combined will probably give you 90% of the quality of the 9000 at less than half the price.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:20 AM   #3
Administrator

Note that many film scanners don't have drivers for some newer operating systems like 64 bit Vista or Win 7. That includes most Nikon scanners (no drivers for newer 64 bit operating systems).

But, you can find third party drivers like VueScan from Ed Hamrick for many scanners and printers (it has drivers for a number of scanners and printers, with versions for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, OS X and Linux). So, if you want to go with a scanner without drivers available for your OS, check there to see alternative drivers are available.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Sometimes you can get drivers to work in XP Mode, too. If you have Win 7 Pro or higher, you have access to XP mode, which is a copy of XP running in a virtual machine inside of Win 7. Windows Home Premium doesn't get that feature.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Another alternative is running a copy of XP inside of the free VirtualBox software, if you have a legal copy of XP you could install that way. You'll need to setup filters for USB ports pointing to the scanner using the VirtualBox settings screens after you install the Virtual Box Guest Additions in the copy of Windows you've got running in a VM using it. Then, install the drivers and software for the scanner.

http://www.virtualbox.org

But, I wouldn't assume that all drivers will work in a copy of XP running in a Virtual Machine in Win 7. So, if drivers are not available from the scanner manufacturer for the operating system you're using, I'd check the lists of scanners at http://www.hamrick.com to make sure it's supported using VueScan.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I cant justify the 12K for a hassleblad and had took note of the plustek; however, I was hoping that I had overlooked some other replacement for the super coolscan. Did, Nikon or anyone else, ever state why they stopped production or introduction of a replacement? I assume that it resulted from the increased use of digital cameras which has, in turn, reduced the demand for negative conversion.

Thanks again
Gbpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Yup, just not enough demand to keep production going. They never officially gave a reason.