Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:31 PM   #21

Don't know about the Transitions, but Zeiss Umbrals when I used to use them came with three different degrees of tint. The weakest went virtually transparent in low light and only moderately dark in bright sun. The strongest went virtually black, but started out with a pronounced tint even when there wasn't any sun. You choose which is right for you.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:57 PM   #22

Hmmm ...Zies Umbrals ...tell me more?

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:05 PM   #23

I have hoya lenses on mine, and they go completely clear, and pretty dark on sunny days. The glasses shop can show you the degree of darkness the lenses can be with those demo lenses. If they have them.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:07 PM   #24

ok ... So ... transition; hoya; and Zeiss Umbrals ... will have to ask the eye guy, (or gal), I guess, which they recommend. I HATE multiple choice questions!

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:16 PM   #25

The brand Transition also have clear one when indoors. Like the Hoya and Zeiss you can get them with a mild tint when indoors. There is allot of options now adays with transition type lenses. The best thing to do is talk the the eye guy or gal, they can most likely match you up with something the way you want them.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 31, 2011 at 9:28 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:26 PM   #26

Oh, thank you! I definitely will need their help. Gawd ... getting old is the pits, isn't it?

Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:29 PM   #27

Zeiss Umbrals were glass only lenses which were photochromic. For all I know they may have invented the technology. I loved them because they were fantastically accurate optically. If you looked at something and then moved your head around so the object appeared through every part of the lens there would never be any distortion. No other glass lens could offer that and no plastic lenses, not even Zeiss's own, can do it. They were only made in Germany and fitting to frames had to be done there. They were not cheap, IIRC in England over 300 in the 1960's. I think that equated to about US$720. That's just for the lenses.

I moved away from those lenses when plastic became more durable and scratch resistant, mainly for safer participation in action sports.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:12 PM   #28

Wow ... $720 ... a bit steep ... who can afford eyeglasses AND camera lenses????

Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:16 PM   #29

It is hard as hell to find glass lenses anymore these days, all plastic lenses really unless it is a prescription that they can not make with plastic. So don't worry, you will most likely not find to many 720 dollar glasses lenses anymore.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:58 AM   #30

I wear glasses too, but I always prefer to shoot through the viewfinder without wearing them. The problem is that my camera (panasonic fz38) does not have an eyecup, to protect from strong sun light. Any ideas how to overcome this problem? Any gadget?alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote