Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Eyeglasses with auto-tinting?

Question for the all the photogs with eyeglasses. I wear eyeglasses and have the auto-tinting kind. So when I am out in the sun, they turn darker. During the winter with snow on the ground, they turn dark and stay dark for a long time. This has been causing me grief when trying to shoot outside recently.

So you guys that wear glasses, do have the same issue?

Do you keep a second set of glasses that do not have a tint?

Or do you just deal with it and go on?
NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I've worn this type of lens (call it what you like, photochromic, photochormatic, react a light etc) and not really had an issue, it might be that I've had them for almost 20 years or I just don't shoot in troubling conditions. Having said that I'm normally using a dSLR, but still reviewing the screen is fine as well.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Administrator

I currently wear glasses that have the Transitions brand lenses (original style that turn from clear to gray), and I haven't noticed any issues with them.

http://en-us.transitions.com/en/experience/default.aspx

They seem to do much better at not getting scratched up looking compared to standard lenses (especially if you add anti-glare coatings to the standard lenses, since the ones I've had that way got scratched easily when cleaning if you're not careful what you clean with), with the default coatings on the Transitions working just fine without that issue. The Transitions I have seem to have very tough lens coatings, as I tend to clean them with everything from t-shirts to paper towels and they still look like new.

I do have another set with standard lenses (versus Transitions) with the same model frames and prescription (one of the buy one, get one free type deals). But, I just keep them as a spare set (I never wear them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4

I have had the photochromic lenses in the past, but now use clip-on polarized sunglasses made to fit my eyeglasses.
A sunny day on a snowfield is as bright as it gets, bar staring into a nuclear furnace. My photochromics would get almost black under those conditions. If you are trying to use the LCD, you are going to have trouble without a hood to block ambient light, with or without sunglasses.
I sometimes have trouble with my sunglasses if I am using a polarizer on my camera - have to remove the sunglasses to use the OVF.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:40 PM   #5

I have not had any issues with transitions lenses either on my couple of pairs of glasses. Seem to work fine for me, I do not even notice when they tint. The polarized sunglasses has some interesting effects which is kinda cool when walking around.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:57 PM   #6

I know what you mean, my last pair was a pain. The new ones I have now are much improved and do not notice it so much.
Bob
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:55 PM   #7

I've been using transitions for several years and have had no major issues. Once in a while while using a polarizer I have trouble seeing the effect it is having, but all I have to do is remove my glasses to set the filter then put them back on to check the focus.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe my transitions, forgot what they were called earlier, are just getting so dark because of all the snow we have. I haven't really noticed them much before, plus I usually where a cap so my face is covered and the glasses are too.
NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:54 AM   #9
Administrator

It probably depends on the exact brand/generation of lenses you have (and some are darker than others and never turn completely clear).

I like the latest lenses I have (which I've had for a few years now) using the Transitions Gray (standard, not the darker options). I even got the same type of lenses for my Mother (now 84 years old) when she needed new glasses last (after discussing that option with her eye doctor following cataract surgeries). She also has Macular Degeneration (where she needs good light to see hardly anything at all), and I haven't noticed any negative effect from using the Transitions lenses.

Now, I can remember using some of the older lens types (for example, Photogray was one name given to them) that didn't perform as well as the latest Transitions (took longer to change, got darker, never seemed to go completely clear indoors). But, the latest Transitions Gray lenses seem to work fine (at least for me, as I don't even notice them changing).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:23 AM   #10

Cant say I have had the issue but feel your pain. I normally only wear glasses for reading with a very weak distance prescription. I know I cant take any tint when shooting and my sunglasses come off and go on my head until my eye is out of the viewfinder. The diopter adjustment on the camera is tuned in so I can see in the viewfinder. My eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light.

Just noticed, take a peak at my avatar and see where the sunglasses are LOL
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote