Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:20 AM   #1

Default Olympus C-750

Hello,

I have decided to purchase an Olympus C-750 and I will probably get a 256MB XD card. Other than this, what accessories would be a good option to get?

I have seen a lot of starter kits available. Are these worth purchasing or not? If so, does anyone have any good suggestions for a starter kit?

Also, I would like to get a bag for my camera. I eventually plan on purchasing extra lenses and/or filters and would like for the bag to be able to hold these extras.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
jkruer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:29 PM   #2

You will want to buy a rechargeable battery system. Check Steve's reviews of accessories. I would recommend Maha charger and at least 2100 mah batteries. I bought an Eddie Bauer camera bag at Target for $30. It holds my Nikon 5700, external flash unit, Tcon17 tele convert lens, filters, batteries, extra memory cards and my manual.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the info about the bag and the lens adapter. When it comes to adapters, what is the best (i.e. most common) size? 55mm?
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4

I'm not sure that there is one "common" lens adapter tube. You'll find most C-7X0 owners use one of two sizes - 55 mm or 52 mm. The 55 mm is the Olympus CLA-4 adapter tube while the 52 mm is manufactured by several different firms.

Couple of reliabe sources include:

55 mm: Pemaraal On-line http://www.b-300.com

52 mm: The Filter Connection http://www.2filters.com/

Both sites have good reputations.

The advantage of the 55 mm size is that if you decide to go with Olympus add-on lenses, the lenses are 55 mm and you will not need a step-up ring.

If you want to use any lenses other than Olympus (such as Raynox), then go with the 52 mm adapter. Most other lens manufacturers use 52 mm threads.

Regardless of which adapter tube you get, you can always use a step-up or -down ring as needed.

I use the Olympus CLA-4 adapter with a B+W UV filter mounted "permanently" to my C-730. I "worry" most about bumping the lens assembly while it is extended and the adapter tube offers a good degree of protection. Some call it lens armor!

Hope you got that C-750. Enjoy it!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:29 AM   #5

You can contact www.2filters.com and they can sell you a third party brand that works very well. They can also sell you the filters and other items you may need.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 2:34 PM   #6

I just ordered a c-750uz and am waiting for delivery. Am so excited.
Back to tube adaptors. I have several hoya 52mm lenses so an adaptor fitting a 52 would be best for me, do I need to order a lens cap extra or does the tube adaptor come with one. Seems an embarrassingly simple question ops: but I can't find the answer on the sites...

Thanks, Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 3:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I have several hoya 52mm lenses so an adaptor fitting a 52 would be best for me, do I need to order a lens cap extra or does the tube adaptor come with one.
Yes, you will need to get a lens cap. Get one that fits on your filters, assuming you keep the adapter and filter on your camera as "lens armor."

Enjoy your new C-750.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:05 AM   #8

I here a lot of people talking about the Raynox lenses. Are they the best? I am looking for a wide angle and a tele lense eventually. I want the tele lense to be at least 2x.

Is one lense brand better than the other? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:35 AM   #9

I have used the Raynox Pro1850 and it is a very good lens along with the Olympus Tcon 17. I use the Tcon 17 with my Nikon 5700 and you will need to use some type of support with the lens attachment. Attaching a tele lens to camera will make the camera front heavy and you will need something to steady the camera.