Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:01 PM   #1

Default buying a camera, online or store????????????

i wonder whether it is better to get it from a retail store or from a good (pretty good, but not excellent as amazon or so) online seller?
it is just a 3-400 camera, while the store price is around $60-80 more. the reason that holds me from getting it online was i am afraid that it becomes defective or break or something in delievry. it is really a hassel to send it back across the country for a replacement, you know. anyone has some advice or experience to say? thank you for your feedback.
gomakeitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 4:26 PM   #2

online vs local store. both normally only have a 30day return and warrenty work normally is carried out out by manufactor aka you call them up and send directly to manufactor not store.

both store types may have restocking fees or different return policy's for computers, digital cameras, big screen tv's etc.. some time they are exactly the same.

if product is damage in shiping it is the shipers problem not the stores. if you ship something make sure it has insurance. make sure there are no clinches some shipers have special insurance for different types of products. and how much insurance will cover.

never buy from the lowest store price online aka flybynight store. check out online store revies like www.bizrate.com and read the reviews don't take what it says for how many reviews it has gotten.

simple tips. nothing more nothing else.
boggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 4:57 PM   #3

After you've found several stores that have low prices go to www.resellerratings.com to check out their past selling record. Highly recommend you go there.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 5:35 PM   #4

Advantages for online shopping:
1. No tax in most cases - a savings of 8 to 10 percent
2. Free shipping - requires more aggressive shopping but it is there
3. Lower prices
4. Protection via credit card purchases.

Disadvantages for online shopping:
1. Scam artist - as already pointed out check the sellers out at the above listed sites
2. Gray market cameras - cameras that are meant for sale outside the US and carry no US warranty.
3. Return policy - one of my favorite stores (www.newegg.com) will only allow exchanges on cameras you purchase from them.
4. Restocking Fees

Advantages of local store purchase
1. You can tocuh the cameras
2. Many stores allow a 15 to 30 day return policy if you do not like the camera
3. Problems can be resolved via a visit

Disadvantages of local store purchase
1. Higher prices
2. Sales Tax

My last three cameras have all been purchased over the internet. My transactions were very satisfactory because I did the research on the camera and the store.

Do your research.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:00 PM   #5

Default thanks for all the reply

i appreciate all words that you guys told me. so i think i am gonna order it online, from this store buydig.com.
it looks fine. so i will go ahead and order it today or tomorrow and pray for its safe arrival. =)
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:07 PM   #6
csd

I bought recently from buydig and had no problems so hopefully your experience will be the same. I saved $200 over the stores on a Minolta DiMAGE A1 (Savings were the same for the Cannon coolpix 5700 I was also considering). The more the camera costs - the higher the savings seem to be. For a camera in the $300-$400 price range you can probably save around $100. For a camera in the $800-$1000 range you can probably save around $200. You have credit card protection and the manuf warranty so I believe it is well worth the savings. You also save sales tax (if you live in a state that has it).
The only thing to be careful of is just because they have a MUCH BETTER PRICE on the camera doesn't necessarily mean they have a better price on any accessories.
buydig was rated great buy bizrate and pricegrabber.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:47 PM   #7

Bizrate and Pricegrabber don't always have the true story. I agree with CheckSix when looking into a store go to www.resellerratings.com

Kayd :P
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:16 PM   #8

But in the end, www.newegg.com is my favorite store. Our computer is composed of parts entirely from New Egg and I bought my F717 from it. Great place and excellent service.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:17 PM   #9

I have bought a camera from www.buydig.com and www.newegg.com. My experiences were very good with both stores. I prefer www.newegg.com.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:31 PM   #10

yeah, most ppl say newegg is good
it is just not good for me that i live in ca and they charge tax for ca customers. =/ otherwise, i haven't heard any bad opinions about newegg from ppl around me. =)