Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:46 PM   #1

Default A family member wants pricing for my photography. Help?

My cousin wants to hire me to take photos during their wedding reception (they are being married at a courthouse, just the two of them privately). She wants to know how much to pay me for my time, and for prints/online/digital copies.

I just started doing photography about 3-4 months ago, but IMO have come a long way since then. I have all the necessary equipment needed. She has seen my photography before. She is also aware of my lack of longevity in the field. I'm only 21 and I'm not really needing to make a whole lot of money out of this.

It will be a 5 hour reception. I was thinking of a flat rate of $100 to $200 for the whole 5 hours.

Now for the part I no nothing about: PRINTS. I have never had a print of any of my photos. Only digital copies. I don't know where to go for them, how to price them, and then how to tell my cousin the prices. Do I give her a list of different sized prints, and corresponding prices based on what i find at a local printer? Do i add a bit of percentage to each print for profit? How do i find a good local printer?

For online access, Do i allow the ability for them to save all the photos to there own computer? Or do I charge more for that feature? Do I just post them on an online album so they can browse them for me to print them for her?

Any questions that can be answered be greatly appreciated. I asked a lot them. LOL.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:49 PM   #2

Here is a photo I took of her (with her new engagement ring) showing our 90 year old grandfather
for the first time (She is marrying into the family). We (about 10 family members) flew down to Florida
from New England to visit him as a total surprise for his 90th in december.

It was the ring he had given to his late wife of nearly 50 years.
He started crying as soon as he recognized it.

(It's in focus on my computer, but not on this forum for some reason)

Last edited by ewheeler20; Feb 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:13 PM   #3

If a person is trying to help the bride and groom save some cash, we might charge a small flat fee and then the prints at cost. I've been looking into the output options myself as I volunteered to shoot a wedding (you know, more zoom than sense on my part...). Adorama advertises some interesting printed photo books for not a lot of money. B&H has too many options for the more traditional bound book - I still don't quite understand what goes with what to put it all together. Seems like a person could spend between $50 and $400 for a 20 page book.

If you are working at a reduced price, whatever that may be, I'd recommend making that discount clear to the B&G before word spreads of your low prices.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:40 PM   #4

Were you not going to the reception anyway? Were you not going to bring your camera anyway? Were not planning to take a bunch of photos anyway?

You just made out! Do what you were going to do anyway, and call it your wedding present to them!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:44 PM   #5

And have http://www.adoramapix.com/home do your prints.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:48 PM   #6

Family is special. Your grandfather cried and you want to charge? i think you know what to do. Bone up on the required poses/shots, make a list and have someone help you check it off, do the shoot.

After, give all raw and jpegs on a dvd to them. post a selected bunch of the jpegs on picasa or flickr or somewhere and send them the link. Offer to help out with any further processing they want. If they want prints, do your research and offer them some educated choices. Again offer to help them with the picture selection and book set-up.

This'll take all the pressure off you. You're just "helping out". Do your best. The usual caveats apply: spare equipment, lots of batteries... You'll be fine if you plan the task and just work yourway thru the plan.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:53 PM   #7

thanks for the info.

TCav, I was going to be at the reception anyways, and take pictures anyways, and post them online anyways. lol, you're right. I like your idea of the wedding present as it was something that ran through my mind before. I will certainly take a look at the adoramapix thing too.

Frank, to be clear, i didn't charge for the grandfather photo. (im not sure if that was just a comparison to taking my own families' wedding shots or not) I just brought my camera down to florida and was the unofficial photographer of the event. Everyone had access to all the photos online at full size.
I do like your idea of just giving them the photos on a DVD and online, then whichever ones they want in print, I could edit and have those printed for them (or offer to help them do there own printing).

Now, I have never done any type of event as "the" photographer for an event. a plan is something new to me. I assume I should talk to the B&G for any set-up shots they may want? As in, B&G with the new in-laws and such?

How do i treat the event as a "shoot" while still being able to eat dinner, and chat with family and stuff? After all, this is my own family...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
...Now, I have never done any type of event as "the" photographer for an event. a plan is something new to me. I assume I should talk to the B&G for any set-up shots they may want? As in, B&G with the new in-laws and such?

How do i treat the event as a "shoot" while still being able to eat dinner, and chat with family and stuff? After all, this is my own family...
First would be to search online and put together a big list from various sources of photo-musts for weddings. Get it in order of time and review it by yourself. try to envision yourself doing all those photos. a lot of work. some you probably can't do (for whatever reason). fine, strike them off. then you can discuss things with the bride and groom. don't show them your list tho, ask for their ideas and wants. write them in where they fit and then pass them the whole list and ask them to cross out any they don't want. maybe there's a black sheep in the family that shouldn't be in pictures. maybe one of the aunts has a bad side and is hyper about it.

doesn't matter. you need to make everyone comfy with what you're going to do.

I have never done a wedding but I'm very afraid that one day, i'll be a guest and the groom will come to me and say "our photographer cancelled. can you help out?"!!! I bring a list with me just-in-case.

here's a starter for you:
http://weddings.about.com/od/photogr...gchecklist.htm

oh, the eating and sitting part? ummm. You won't get much of that. But what you will get is mingling with everyone as you walk around getting the shots. They'll remember you. Dress professional.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:59 PM   #9

BTW, it's ok when the bride and groom cut the cake, but make sure you don't get photos of anyone else with their mouths full.

I don't know if anyone else pays much attention to this rule, but it's pretty close to the top for me: Don't take photos of anyone's back.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:33 PM   #10

When I'm in doubt, i'll just take it anyway, but almost all the time the rule "no face, no picture" is valid. Work the room. Every picture should have someone or thing as the point of focus. General shots are the ones that nobody looks at. don't spend much time on those.