Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:31 PM   #1

Default press pass

I was just wondering if anybody knew how to get like press passes for certain events like concerts and events
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:12 PM   #2

Probably being a member of the press helps.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:25 PM   #3

Well I don't have that option at the moment lol
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Ok so I don't think its really a press pass but I've read on some sites u can sometimes get a pass to shoot from sidelines or up front I was just wondering how you are allowed to do this
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:36 PM   #5

Contact the promoter/organizer of the event and tell him you want a photo pass so you can put them on your blog. Worth a shot.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:59 PM   #6

I went to the Litchfield Jazz Festival this past summer, and they had special photography passes for the festival. They banned taking photos from anywhere but right up at the stage, and required the photographers to buy special passes. So it was just a way to make more money for the festival. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:23 PM   #7

zombz - don't be duped into trying to order a "press pass" from some online organization. People often confuse two different items: A Press pass and an Access Pass/credential. A press pass is issued to a member of the media - it is mostly used at accident scenes and such to identify you as a working member of the press. Such a pass isn't much use for gaining access to concerts, sports events etc... Those events have media relations that issue access passes / credentials. Those passes are typically requested by an editor. Most inquiries from Joe Public will not be granted.

If you want one, get a job as a PJ for a legit (not scam internet) news agency / publication. Of course, those jobs are rare now adays.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:27 PM   #8

Yea I didn't plan on buying one off the interent knowing it prob would be a scam I guess ill just email event coordinators and see how it goes i know I emailed the carrier dome about shooting su baseket ball and the kept telling me they don't allow pro cameras in so I asked well then what r the people shooting picture on the baseline and they didn't know so they were no help so I just figured to ask on here to see how others have been allowed to do stuff like this
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:09 PM   #9

i think the key when calling the event coordinators is to tell them why they would benefit from you getting a "press pass" of sorts to take photographs. Tell them that the photos could be sold to local news, magazine, or online site/blog. Anything that would increase publicity for the event...
You probably already knew that, but thought i'd add it anyways.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
Tell them that the photos could be sold to local news, magazine, or online site/blog. Anything that would increase publicity for the event...
You probably already knew that, but thought i'd add it anyways.
Anything is worth a try. And if this is minor local band type stuff it might work. If it's a major act the media department is likely only to issue a credential if it's requested by an editor verifying you are employed - i.e. they typically won't issue a credential to someone HOPING to sell photos - only to people already under contract. But again, a lot depends on how big of an act we're talking about. If you're talking major acts, that approach is not likely to work. But it doesn't hurt to try.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote