Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:53 PM   #1

Default The Benefit of shooting in Raw

To start off let me give you a little back round:

Last summer I took a bunch of photos of an old tractor and posted them on several different sites. When I took the photo and did my editing I was using Raw on the camera and I saved the original photo as a PSD file format with a resolution of 300 pixel/inch. Then I also saved it as a JPEG and TIFF format to cover all the bases.

Last night, while going through all the forums I belong to I found a post by a Lady that runs a Design Group that does store layout and design. She asked me to contact her today about her purchasing a One Time Only usage of that tractor photo for a store that she was decorating.

I emailed her today to find out what she needed for size on the photo. She informed me that she needed an Ultra High Resolution Photo of 150 pixel/inch format that she could have printed out. The Print size will be 5' high! WOW!

I had forgotten that I save my photos at the highest resolution I can, so I called Canon USA to find out if my 40D photos could be printed out that large. Canon could not give me a definite answer because they have never done a photo from a 40D that large. I was beside myself, but I was determined to contact some Professional Photographers to find out.

I finally got in touch with the right person! He told me that if I had saved the photo to the highest resolution that I could then by all means I could have the photo printed that Large! That is when the light bulb (a well used 5 watt light bulb) went off in my head!

I pulled up the original photo in Photoshop and checked out my settings. I found that when I originally saved the photo I had saved it at 300 pixel/inch, so the file size is 16,200 pixels high by 12,165 pixels wide with a pixel dimension of 563.8m. This file is HUGE, and the Print size of of it at the present is 40.55 inches high by 54" wide. So there should be Zero Problem for her printer to enlarge the photo to the 5 foot height!

I tried cropping a section of the photo and then resizing it, then cropping some more and re-cropping it. I went out 7 times before the photo became fuzzy and pixelated!

So, it looks like I may have the photo sold. The First Photo I have sold in 26 years; ever since I got out of doing Weddings and selling wildlife photos!

Please do yourself a Favor and Learn to Shoot and Save RAW Images! Someday it might just pay off for you like it did for me today!

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:10 PM   #2

I'm pleased that this worked out well for you.

Actually, the resolution (in pixels per inch) associated with a file is meaningless. Neither the camera nor the image itself decide how the image will be printed; the printer driver does. The 40D records images at a resolution of 3,888 x 2,592, whether they're RAW or JPEG. And whether they're RAW or JPEG, they're equally capable of being enlarged to that size.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm pleased that this worked out well for you.

Actually, the resolution (in pixels per inch) associated with a file is meaningless. Neither the camera nor the image itself decide how the image will be printed; the printer driver does. The 40D records images at a resolution of 3,888 x 2,592, whether they're RAW or JPEG. And whether they're RAW or JPEG, they're equally capable of being enlarged to that size.
Thanks for the info TCav!

Here is the photo she wants to use:

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:39 AM   #4

Congratulations - that's a great shot.

I've just started to tinker with raw, I wish my cam shot raw&jpg I have a lot more to learn about PP before I can confidently shoot in raw only.

Edit - oops. Cam does shoot raw & jpg at same time. Woohoo!

My Flickr

Last edited by Joe Bananas; Feb 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM. Reason: Read the manual again
Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:17 AM   #5

TCav is right, the PPI recorded by the camera is meaningless. Take a look at what does matter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
... The Print size will be 5' high! ...
... so the file size is 16,200 pixels high by 12,165 pixels
Dick
5' is 60" which will be covered by 16200 pixels, or 270 pixels per inch. That should be adequate and is more than the 150/inch.

But something seems a bit strange: I think the 40D is a 10Mp but your numbers indicate about a 200Mp image (16200*12165=197,073,000). ???
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote