Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Photo Sharing Sites...

It appears the majority of threads I've read in the last couple of months have refered people to pbase as their site for album viewing. I've looked at three sites and aside from price and MB storage they seem fairly equal.

My question is why have you chosen your particular site? I realize this is a personal opinion question, but that's exactly what I want, everybodies personal opinion about their album storing and sharing site.

E-Gads trying to be politacally correct and not ask a which camera should I choose question... :?

Thanks all.....Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:49 AM   #2

I like using pbase because it is easy to manage the photos that ypu post to your site. I prefer to load the photos and then email family and friends. They then can view the photos without bogging down their email.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:01 PM   #3

I was wondering the same question, are there other sites worth checking out that are comparable to pbase? (I don't have time to try a bunch of sites)
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:12 PM   #4
Administrator

arghman wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering the same question, are there other sites worth checking out that are comparable to pbase? (I don't have time to try a bunch of sites)
Well, there are many choices available. We even have a Photo Sharing Site Links Forum here.

Pbase.com gives you a lot of "bang for the buck" (ability to upload multiple images in a single .zip file; customizable album templates; your own forum for each album you create; a guestbook; ability to see small, medium, large or original size images without you needing to create the different sizes; same photos can be in more than one album without taking up more space;compression of images to save space if you want to do that, etc.).

It's only $23/year for 200mb of storage with unlimited bandwidth to your images (something that can "backfire" on you if you are using a web hosting service with bandwidth limitatons and lots of users decide to view your photos).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:12 PM   #5

I am a professional photographer so in order for me to get work I often times get asked if I have an online portfolio. I don't think its professional to point them to a photosharing site. I found this really great site, this application has allowed me to have and maintain my website without any html coding stills what so ever. Sign up for a free website and let me know what you think. The great thing about these guys is they don't request a credit card when you sign-up.

http://www.proimageguide.com

I think I saw their ad in one of the photography magazines, if you type in this code "Image2005" in the comments area when you are signing up, you can get an extra month.. so 4 months total.

Let me know how you like their application or if you find a better one please let me know.
nmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:52 PM   #6

I'll throw out another suggestion: Smugmug. It costs around the same as Pbase but has a slightly different take - unlimmited storage of photos but a monthly limit on bandwidth. I liked this idea because I don't have to clean up as much - I can have several hundred images out there - the 200mb limit of pbase could be only 50 images if you are putting full size images. Like pbase you can have all the different sizes, including original, it keeps exif info and your family/friends can order prints from the site. I've had it for 4-5 months now and I've been happy with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:19 AM   #7

#1 site in the world is Photo.net

You will be totally blown away withthe quality of shots at that place - I was humbled. You can have people rate photos and so forth.

I put one on the site (I'm a member) last week and it's been viewed over 10,000 times and critiqed 22 times.

You can post 3 shots for free and you have 100 meg to play with for $25 a year.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:44 AM   #8

The first place to check is your ISP. They often include some web space, and even if it was not available when you signed up, it might be now.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:21 PM   #9

A pretty good service that I use is Photobucket.com . It's great for novice, enthusiast, professional, etc.

You can choose between a free account or a premium account. You get 25mb of disk space and 1.5gb of transfer bandwith per month for the free account. If you pay $25/year or $9/month, you get unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwith.

The only downsides that I see are image size limits (250kb for the Free account and 1mb for the Premium account), and the limited ability to change the visual look of your site (only way is by changing the background color). With regards to image size and disk space, you don't really want to be uploading your high resolution images as there are still people who have dial-up and/or slow broadband. Plus, it deters theft.

And for my own plugging, if anyone wants to check out both Photobucket and my album: http://photobucket.com/albums/v463/Comp625/
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:27 PM   #10

OH - photo SHARING - not photo posting - sorry - my bad! There is a difference.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote