Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Am i screwed? (camera warranty question)

I bought my Pentax K-r in early of November 2011. I bought the Mack 3 year extended warranty ("diamond plan" or something like that) for $75 extra at the same time.

The problem you ask? I never signed and sent in the extended warranty card... Apparently it needed to be signed within 30 days of invoice. Whoops! You see, I have never bought a camera before, or anything that needed an extended warranty so i didnt know how that all works. I didnt know you had to sign it and "submit" it. I thought that when i bought it, it was just registered automatically.

Well, it is extremely apparent that my K-r is suffering from severe front focusing problems. (As many are with this camera). What do i do? My camera is obviously not covered under any warranty right now. I honestly dont even know where to send my camera to to get it fixed... I know nothing about servicing a camera, and i know nothing about warranties.

Can anybody help me? lol
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:31 PM   #2

First, where did you buy the camera? They will have the information you need to get warranty service. Your camera should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty for the first year - after that, the extended warranty kicks in, IIRC. I believe, that in the U.S., the manufacturer is required to honor the warranty, as long as you have valid proof of purchase, whether or not you registered the camera.
As far as the extended warranty, I have not used this kind of service, but if you paid for it, you should receive it, or get your money back.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:52 PM   #3

I bought it on ebay from the buyer "asavings". It was a legit purchase (no gray market or anything like that). They have a feedback score of 99.4% out of 253082 items sold. There customer service was actually pretty good. Somebody from their storefront in Ny Ny called me before my camera shipped to ask if i wanted to buy the extended warranty. I said, "sure, what the hell". So, if i call the company up and tell them that i need to have my camera serviced for FF issues, they will have to honor that request? Do i send it to the company, or to Pentax? Is the services free? If for some weird reason i am not covered by a warranty, home much is it usually to have it serviced?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but i am really clueless with this stuff. :\
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:28 PM   #4

Extended warranties don't generally start until the manufacturer warranty expires, so you should probably go to Pentax for service. As long as you have a dated sales receipt, the warranty is supposed to be valid. (some companies require that it be from an authorized dealer, though)
Try asking in the Pentax DSLR forum for more up to date info - someone there has likely had a similar situation.
Since this is a known manufacturing defect, you shouldn't have any problem getting it repaired under warranty.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:43 PM   #5

The k-r should still be under pentax warranty. The mack card, I contact the ebay seller. And they might be able to issue you a new invoice for the warranty.

I use extended service plans, and VT said, the first year is under the OAM factory warranty.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:56 PM   #6

thanks guys! i will do those things.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:59 PM   #7

If it's a US Pentax camera, you automatically have a 1 year warranty, so you have no problems. Contact Pentax about sending it in for repair (I believe I read that all Pentax repairs are now done my another company, Pentax will give you their name and address). You can either call the Pentax Technical people or use the on-line contact form - they do email you back right away (at least they have me). Go to www.pentaximaging.com which is Pentax USA's web address, there's all the information you need about repairs.

The only time I've sent anything in for warranty repair was several years ago, while Pentax USA still had a repair facility. I sent in a bad lens and received a replacement about a month later (before they used to say the turn-around time was 6-8 weeks, my one time using them was significantly shorter).

The only possible fly in the ointment would be if the camera were grey market.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:14 PM   #8

G'day ew20

Your camera is covered via "proof of purchase" - it is not necessary for you to return the warranty card - in fact few people do it as it is then only used to put you onto junk-mail lists

As MT says above [read 1st line] - you should be covered and the extended warranty takes over from that

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote