Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Not all cameras and their implementations of a sensor and not all sensors are equally as effective in controlling noise. Nikon D3s and D700 produce very usable real-life photos at ISO 6400. Assuming the person behind the camera knows what they're doing with regards to high ISO photography. The D90 isn't the best representation of the advancements of high ISO implementation.
Here are some photos from another shooter using D700 and ISOs of 5600. Extremely usable photos. BUT, he's got great glass and he's a top notch shooter that knows how to shoot with high ISOs. I'm thinking these photos are quite a bit cleaner than what the old KM 700 could produce.
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=153575

Great pictures...and at an ISO of 5600 and that's from a Nikon D700...an excellent, full frame camera, but a camera that was introduced a few years ago.

With what seems to be an ever increasing improvement and evolution in technology...I can only imagine what will be possible in terms of clean, relatively free from obvious noise pictures with a D800...a D900...or maybe 10 years + down the road a D1000 or it's equivalent .

Looking far into the future I also wonder if the F 2.8 lenses will have some of their advantages negated with hopefully, ever improving ISO ?

A pro will always want a faster lens because every advantage will be wanted...but does the future hold the time when fast lens will be used largely for their DOF qualities and not so much for their speed ?
You can jump over to fred miranda forums and do some searches in their sports forum to see numerous d3s photos at 6400 and above that are quite usable.

When you think about it 1.5 - 2 stop advantage in ISO performance is HUGE. Not revolutionary, but still hugely beneficial.
I agree and think if 1.5 - 2 stop advantage in ISO is huge...well.... I can only see this improving in the future.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Looking far into the future I also wonder if the F 2.8 lenses will have some of their advantages negated with hopefully, ever improving ISO ?
What you aren't looking at is: everything is relative. As products improve, so do people's expectations. So the advantage of f2.8 isn't going to go away. The notion that in 2012, ISO 6400 f5.6 images are as clean as 2010 SO 1600 f2.8 images isn't good enough. Again - compare the worst DSLR cameras today - they still outperform iso performance of film by quite a bit. But that's not good enough because expectations have gone up. And again, it's not just pros that appreciate shallow DOF. Like it or not - inside a house you're not getting this shot at f5.6 from a few feet away:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:43 AM   #13

But once again, noise aside, every time you double the ISO, you lose a stop of dynamic range because of the bit shifting.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
But once again, noise aside, every time you double the ISO, you lose a stop of dynamic range because of the bit shifting.
Excellent point. Another reason why flash is so important
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Excellent point. Another reason why flash is so important
Yes. Either flash or some combination of larger apertures and slower shutter speeds, aided by image stabilization.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:26 PM   #16

A buddy of mine has a Canon 7D and a Canon 400mm L F 5.6 lens. I viewed one of his pictures of a small, very quick bird that he took ...outdoors, during a cloudy afternoon.
He used 1/8000 th of a second, F 5.6..500 or 640 ISO and he froze the rapidly beating wings.

Now the Canon 7D is a great camera and he is a phenomenal bird photographer who really knows how to get every bit of capability out of this equipment.

But think of what a future camera may offer...say a Canon...14D with a non F 2.8 telephoto...a 5.6.

Higher ISO with clear, non grainy pictures say 25,000 ISO and shutter speeds at 1/16,000th of a second.

I can see this as the future.

I can also see good bokeh..being provided by pushing a button on the lens or the camera body.

They always say nature finds a way...well so does technology.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:13 PM   #17

Seems that it has always been, and likely always will be, that two stops less than the manufacturers hype is about as good as you can do.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote