Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Outdoor Baseball and Lacrosse settings?

Hi,
I am going to attempt taking some outdoor sports, baseball and lacrosse shots. Currently a 50D with a 55-250, but in a few weeks with a 70-200 L f/4 non is......
to start would I go (tv) with a shutter of 1/500 r 1/1000, and let the camera pick the rest? I have been shooting basketball, and have the manual settings dialed in pretty good,,,,trying to figure what to do for the outdoor stuff?

Help....
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
Hi,
I am going to attempt taking some outdoor sports, baseball and lacrosse shots. Currently a 50D with a 55-250, but in a few weeks with a 70-200 L f/4 non is......
to start would I go (tv) with a shutter of 1/500 r 1/1000, and let the camera pick the rest? I have been shooting basketball, and have the manual settings dialed in pretty good,,,,trying to figure what to do for the outdoor stuff?

Help....
First, depending on your access, your lenses may be a bit short. With a 70-200, you will need to be on the sidelines for lacrosse, and even then you'll only be able to shoot on the near side. If you can get on the field or in the dugout you'll be able shoot batters, pitchers and the infielders on the side of the field you're on.

Second, personally, I (and most sports shooters I know) don't use shutter priority. It's too easy to screw up exposure, especially in poorer light (which isn't an issue for you if you are shooting in the daytime). If the shutter speed is too fast for proper exposure, you will end up with dark images. I usually shoot aperture priority...stopped down a little in daylight, wide open in poorer light, then adjust ISO up until I am consistently achieving the shutter speed I desire. Know the game and situations, especially in baseball so you can anticipate where the plays will be and you will then be ready, rather than trying to compose and focus on the fly.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:42 PM   #3

I would use AV and pick your aperature and let the camera take it from there. You will want a SS of at least 1/500, use your ISO to vary the SS. Pick an aperature to get the best IQ. On the 70-200 F4 I would try wide open (F4). Steven

On edit I see RJReeney beat me to it. My Field sport lens is a Sigma 100-300 F4. Shot kids soccer with a 70-200 last year and ended up really cropping the picture to get the subject I wanted.

Last edited by waoldrifleman; Feb 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:58 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I will try AV mode....If it does not snow again here in the Northeast, I might be able to catch a lacrosse game this weekend.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:08 PM   #5

good advice. And be prepared - as stated, 200mm is going to seem woefully short for full field baseball or lax. both require a minimum of 300mm if you're right on the field (i.e. just out of bounds). 200mm is good for about 25 yards (75 feet) of quality coverage.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote