Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Why not just rent one for the day?
Because down in Belize that facility is not available. I buy a lens, over the internet sight unseen, or I don't use it. If I find it's not the right lens for the job it will have been an expensive learning process.

And unless I travel to the US to collect the lens, or get someone else to do so for me, I will be charged well in excess of 100% import duty. Quite a disincentive to mail order!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:10 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Check with Mark (one of the moderators) as he is a wedding pro and he will be able to give you whatever lens info etc your using. But one thing I will add is if you have to ask about your gear and if it is good enough to shoot a wedding and stuff like that especially since your going to be paid then you need to take a step back and ask yourself this have I shoot weddings before and am I good enough to do this. Weddings are one of the hardest things to shoot and if your questioning yourself and your gear you may not be in position to provide the pro shoots your client is looking for......... With a wedding you only get one chance to get the pictures and your gear needs to be the best you can afford with full backups and backed up with plenty of skill.......

dave

I may not have said that right but hope you understand what I mean.
Thanks Dave for suggesting me but I'm not a full time pro, I still do a 'real' job in the UK at the moment. It was only while living abroad that I did weddings/engagements for a living....... anyway moving on

I won't use myself as an example but rather someone who is head and shoulders above most other shooters and that is 17 time Kodak Gold Award winner Mark Cleghorn http://www.markcleghorn.com/

I know for a fact that Mark uses the 24-105mm f4 and 70-200mm f2.8 combo almost all the time. Sometimes he will pop a Sigma 12-24 on and also a fisheye but very rarely. I will be seeing Mark on Sunday and see if he's switched to the mkII version of the 70-200mm f2.8 yet.

So you can very successfully use slower glass for a wedding, but there are limitations to some creativity not being able to use f2.8 or wider, actually you usually want wider for usable shallow DOF at standard angles. I'm looking at getting more fast prime options for shallow DOF shots where most people can't get them, however this is not something to worry about when shooting a first wedding.

I would echo thoughts that getting training is going to be very helpful before going into this unless you've done lots of portrait and candid shooting gigs where speed is of high importance. I only did my first wedding after assisting a local pro and got mediocre results, the couple were happy but I knew better was possible. Now, many weddings on and I still look at my photos and think couples could be getting much better photos and I strive to get to the standard I want to be. I've spent a lot of time practising and studying and this has helped lots, but there is nothing like shooting weddings to get better.

Just make sure you can do a good enough job for the couple.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:40 PM   #13

I don't have a 70-200 f2.8 either and am even less likely to buy it. I do have a 100-400 but that is a distinctly slow lens. But I can't envisage wanting anything longer than 105 during the course of the event. Without changing lenses I shall have 85 available on my crop camera, which equates to a FF 135. A slowish lens, but if I use it I'll probably use flash.

Do you know whether Mark goes beyond 105 in a wedding? Does he use his 70-200 in wedding/reception?

I have a week to decide whether I should get the Tamron 28-75. If I do that will be the only one I'll get - I won't get something specifically for my crop camera. But should I get it (the 28-75)?

I've done lots of informal candids in the past and feel confident doing them. I've had a few pictures (not candids) published. But rarely with flash (it'll be dark by then) and never when I'm being paid!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:14 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I don't have a 70-200 f2.8 either and am even less likely to buy it. I do have a 100-400 but that is a distinctly slow lens. But I can't envisage wanting anything longer than 105 during the course of the event. Without changing lenses I shall have 85 available on my crop camera, which equates to a FF 135. A slowish lens, but if I use it I'll probably use flash.

Do you know whether Mark goes beyond 105 in a wedding? Does he use his 70-200 in wedding/reception?

I have a week to decide whether I should get the Tamron 28-75. If I do that will be the only one I'll get - I won't get something specifically for my crop camera. But should I get it (the 28-75)?

I've done lots of informal candids in the past and feel confident doing them. I've had a few pictures (not candids) published. But rarely with flash (it'll be dark by then) and never when I'm being paid!
85mm and f5.6 isn't going to be that helpful unless you've got really good light so just depends.

I'm not sure what Mark goes with in the actual service to be honest, this is something he doesn't talk much about, most of what I know are pre and post service, the during is never the most major element and is just telling the story.

I do however know for my style that I like to use the 70-200 on whatever my 2nd body is (can be 5D, 7D or 1DmkIII depending on my mood). I don't like to get too close when the ceremony is on so the length is great to allow close shots adding detail to what is going on. This isn't essential but it works for me, everyone has a different way of shooting at a wedding. If you are going ahead make sure you can manage people for any groups, get the bride and groom shots posed well and quickly, that you can work with the light be it natural or flashed.

Lastly re the 28-75, that's a choice for you, I have a Sigma 24-70 as a backup but go for the 24-105 unless it is down.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:43 PM   #15

When I shot using the Fuji S9100 and the Sony D-SLR (28-300mm lens on it for the ceremony) I found that I was in the 150 - 200mm range during the ceremony alot!

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:24 PM   #16

There's one question that hasn't been addressed yet that may make a huge difference in the responses you're getting from members.

Is it an indoor or outdoor wedding?
If it's outdoors, is it during broad daylight or at sunset or in the evening?

If it's indoors, is the wedding in a well lit room or dimly lit?

Knowing the lighting conditions can make a huge difference in the lens discussion.

Are you permitted to use a flash? If so, will you need to? If so, do you have the ability to shoot with the flash off camera?

In a well lit room, or outdoors during the day, that 24-105 L with IS is a great lens and you can hand hold a lot of shots with a fast shutter.

If it's a candle light ceremony and you don't have a fast lens, you could be in serious trouble.

Can you elaborate on the setting of the wedding?

Faithfully Yours,
Faithful Pastor
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:14 PM   #17

It's outdoors on a dock over the sea - the whole thing, ceremony and reception. The ceremony will be in fairly late day with strong slanting sun, and night will fall during the reception. Yes, I'm allowed to use a flash. And yes, I do have off-camera flash facilities (three flash units, triggers for two of them, umbrellas and diffusers/light boxes). I'm not familiar with the use of it all yet but I will be long before the day (it's over two months away). During the ceremony I can get right up close to the couple.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
When I shot using the Fuji S9100 and the Sony D-SLR (28-300mm lens on it for the ceremony) I found that I was in the 150 - 200mm range during the ceremony a lot!
dave
If I were to get a single f2.8 lens, it would be either the Tamron 28-75 or the Tamron 70-200. Can't afford the Canon lenses right now. And I can only afford to get one of those lenses (and would rather not get either!). Given that choice, what would you do? I don't see a long lens being useful in this particular context so I was thinking of the 28-75.

There will be a pre-wedding session where the B&G will be preparing, and they've asked for some shots there. I'm actually quite inclined to use my G10 for those. Views?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:25 AM   #19

Hi first good luck with the wedding. When I used to shoot weddings I always had a chat with couple and found out what they wanted taking, I didnt ant to get caufgt out on the day not taking shoots they wanted. I had list with me as a memory jogger. The most important thing to remember is its there day and you are there to record it. Any way good luck again and post some shoots
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:15 AM   #20

I'll second Wave's comment. I received much helpful advice on this earlier posting: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ng-photos.html
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote