Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:36 AM   #21

Thanks for the really useful tips and advice. It's unfortunate that my first wedding is quite atypical, so I'll be winging it most of the way. But an agreed list of photos to be taken is an excellent idea and I'll float it with the bride's mother (my only contact so far).

In that other thread (thanks Jim) you had me searching all over the place for even a clue as to what a "grater" was in the context of a wedding and the bride. Being British I so often assume that it's just another American term or usage that I just haven't come across before. I'm glad it was resolved for me! Since we'll be on a dock over the sea and there'll be at least a breeze, it could be interesting photographing people trying to catch something as small and light as a garter. The bouquet (if there is one) will be interesting enough.

I really have no idea how this function is going to go, and I'm not just referring to my part in it. There is a wedding planner whom I know slightly, but other than her I don't think anyone has much idea. Everyone will be winging it, and there is the potential for some interesting impromptu shots!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:11 AM   #22

You are going to want to take at least some of the portraits and posed shots indoors or in a sheltered spot, before the ceremony. A sea breeze will quickly wreak havoc with the ladies' hairdos, and they won't be happy to be immortalized in photos with their hair a mess. (experience speaking)
Use the wedding planner to help set up some of the photos, and herd the guests, or get one of the wedding party (best man is often useful) to organize your shots. (the more assistants you have, the better to spread blame if necessary)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:16 PM   #23

A very good point. I have a feeling the wedding planner would rather that one of her friends who is (claims to be) a wedding pro photographer had been engaged for the shoot, so I don't know how much active support I'll get from that direction. Still, I have other help, and the bride's mother is very much on side.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:15 AM   #24

You might want to go a week early to the site and shoot a little at that same time of day that the wedding is scheduled.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:25 PM   #25

Oh indeed. I know the place well and go by there every few weeks in late afternoon to see how the angle of the sun is changing, and the time of sunset. I'll do a practice shoot there with my assistant a couple of weeks before the event.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:58 AM   #26

Hope you have good weather!
Outdoor weddings can be great or they can be "interesting"

Last wedding I shot for 2010 was on the roof of the Atlantis Pavilion in Toronto.
Nice blue sky, fluffy clouds, and gale force winds.
The brides veil took flight the moment she stepped out of the lift, last seen streaking across Lake Ontario headed for New York and the videographers tripod/camera kept trying to scurry away across the roof deck

Outdoor roof top portion I shot entirely with a 70-200 f/4 L is.
The pre/post images at a pool deck side location they rented with a 16-35 f/2.8
(cameras are Full Frame)

I did use strobes but... the wind was so strong it kept ripping my PhotoFlex diffuser off the flash heads, I had to go bare bulb, not the most flattering for fill light.

Did you ask them if they have an alternate location if the weather is foul?
In my case for the above wedding they answered NO! They were going ahead outdoors no matter what. So I pack a Kata elements cover and a box of large freezer bags in my camera bag just in case it was pouring down.

Are you taking any fee for shooting this event ?
If so, how is your insurance if something goes wrong and images do not turn out acceptably.
In the US/Canada a mess up usually means a law suite showing up on your door step.

I'm kind of wondering why they are passing up all the "pro's" in the area, are they just shopping for a major bargain?
For me price shoppers are a big red flag, and are the ones most likely to turn out what is classed as a bridezilla.

Last edited by PeterP; Mar 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixum up the spelllingo
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:04 AM   #27

No, there's no escape route. Still, weather in Belize in May may be windy but is most unlikely to be wet. I am taking a small fee, but being sued in Belize is not a possibility. But there'll be three/four cameras and two people who aren't novice photographers, so it won't be a disaster - just maybe not as good as it could have been.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:18 AM   #28

Ah! Seems you will be ok,
Some countries are much worse for trying to use courts to resolve issues than others!