Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: do you chimp?
yes 13 56.52%
no 0 0%
do i what? 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:36 PM   #11
Administrator

Well, now that I know what you're talking about -- Yes, I chimp pretty often.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:21 AM   #12

Gotcha...Yep me too.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:30 AM   #13

I don't have a good answer to this question. Right now I'm still learning how to use all the functions on my new camera, and I want to know what's working (or not) so I can correct things. So yes, I'm doing a LOT of re-viewing.

In the past, when I used my e-100, it was "hit or miss", and I didn't have any choice but to check - but then again, the image appeared on my electronic viewfinder automatically after each shot, so nobody knew I was doing it. :-)

If I trusted what I was doing, and had enough experience to know that I had everything set properly for whatever the situation was, I'd be concentrating on the action, and maybe only check every so often to make sure things were OK... and if I got to where I trusted things completely, I don't think I'd be doing much reviewing at all until later on.

..........but then again, I'm one of the paranoid people that always used to check that the rewind knob was turning backwards when I advanced my film camera to the next frame. Only once in my life did I ever load a roll of 35mm film wrong, and have zero images to show for it... never again, but since that one time, I've gotten to look at that re-wind knob "just to be sure".
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:18 AM   #14

Default Re: do you chimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg
do you?i chimp every 10-15 shots
What you call 'chimping' is the only serious advantage digicams have over old-fashioned silver halide film.

If you review (using 'search') the many discussions in these forums about the advantages of digicams over film, you'll find that's the dominant thoughtful one (in reality it's in second place behind advertising-driven fashion). It's like Polaroid(as employed by many professionals before digicams came along); at last you can take a look at your image straight away and try again if necessary.

The sad thing about history (how we got here) is that nobody remembers it these days.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:51 AM   #15

Quote:
..........but then again, I'm one of the paranoid people that always used to check that the rewind knob was turning backwards when I advanced my film camera to the next frame.
haha! Yep, I'm very much the same way :lol: My thoughts have always been, "Better to be safe than sorry." For whatever reason, I've always felt like I'd be a great candidate for receiving bad luck...and so, I keep on my toes with my thinking it's "better to be safe than sorry"

Alan, I totally agree that the display is an advantage and yes, one that I use often (for both taking and reviewing pictures). To be honest, I love it :lol:
When out & about taking pictures, my subjects and occasional bystander do like to be able to take a peek as well. There are alot of folks who don't have digital cameras and are curious.
Usually keeping a well charged battery, I don't mind showing them or reviewing them myself.

Quote:
The sad thing about history (how we got here) is that nobody remembers it these days.
A little bite with a-lot of truth. Funny you mention this, my mother and I were just talking about this last evening. You are quite right.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 6:09 AM   #16

I think the no no of digital photo review is given in the example video: At a moment with action, one starts to review and show harvested photos. Such should only be done if event is only halfway and mem card is full but that is probably even more sin according to pros.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:35 AM   #17
Administrator

I find it "chimping" a huge advantage for reviewing my photos to make sure exposure and focus is accurate. My latest digital camera is the Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500). I carry it with me everywhere in a pocket.

In playback mode, I can zoom in (12x) on details in a photo, to make sure the desired results were obtained (focus, exposure, etc.).

So, it's a huge help. I'd rather "know" that I got the shot right (rather than finding out later when viewing it on a Monitor at home).

Pros can frown on this practice all they want! I'm not a Pro -- it's only a hobby.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:49 AM   #18

Default Re: do you chimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradg
do you?i chimp every 10-15 shots
What you call 'chimping' is the only serious advantage digicams have over old-fashioned silver halide film.
Agreed. It's crazy to take digital pictures using just the optical viewfinder and then not review them. It's a very powerful tool to be able to know immediately if the photo came out the way you wanted it to. My first digital camera, a Sony P31, has an optical viewfinder. I learned after the first day of shooting not to walk around taking pictures through the optical viewfinder with the LCD off. If you're not going to use the LCD to compose the picture, then at least use it to look at the picture afterward. My F717 doesn't have an optical viewfinder, so I always see the shot on the EVF after taking it. I only "chimp" occasionally, when I get a chance to sit in the shade after taking many pictures. Then I switch over to the LCD and look through them.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:54 AM   #19

if you noticed, i also said it is stupid
why would they put a lcd there, if nobody was going to use it?
it is not chimping if you look at your pics after the "event" you are sooting
but if you take 5 shots then look at them and miss 6 other shots, that is chimping

i do it all the time, i use it to check settings, timeing, and exposure

i have missed 1/2 of the shots i take chimping
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:08 PM   #20

I don't think this was made to be serious, Chimping is a kind of joke with with pro shooters, and we are allways trying to catch our peers doing it, Its a quest to catch a "Chimper" It is said if you are chimping you are missing your next shot. But if you shoot a "Chimper" You have also missed a shot. Sigh!! It is a vicious circle. :lol:
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote