Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:49 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by romphotog View Post
I imagine a lens with see-thru features. Thus allowing teen boys to snap pics of girls and view them naked @ home. This will create topless or nude people walking around as no one will care anymore.
There was a lot of controversy over Sony's Nightshot feature a few years back (1998 time frame), and Sony ended up modifying the firmware so that it couldn't be used in Daylight (automatically disabled when ambient light levels are high enough). Nightshot moves the IR Cut filter from in front of the sensor when using that mode.

It really didn't work well for seeing through clothing in most cases. But, enough controversy existed that Sony modified the firmware anyway. Here's a google search with lots of articles about it.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...hrough+clothes
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman82 View Post
That's not too far-fetched. When I take a picture on my phone it get's stored on my phone memory and I have an application that automatically sync's to cloud based storage which will then sync to my PC at home. Maybe cameras will have internet connections and app stores in the future to make this sort of thing possible? Your photos are much safer in the cloud as your memory card might stop working or your camera could get stolen etc.
I wouldn't trust the cloud any further than I could throw it. Your photos are no safer than the drive they are stored on, whether it is local or remote. If you want to keep them, use multiple backups. Check with the thousands of people whose g-mails evaporated.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:36 AM   #23

Maybe a dream or maybe technology is just moving so fast that I can see this happening. Here are my two things to add to this......

By 2015 their will be a digital bridge type point and shoot (like the form factor of the Fuji HS10/20) that will have the ability to match D-SLR results without having to change lenses etc. Yes match that of the quality say of the Nikon D90 or the Sony A350 level camera. It will have a 30x zoom that will be f 2.8-f4 (yes 30x at f4) It will also have the ability shoot at 3fps and 5fps till the memory card fills up (using an SDHC class 20 card - yes class a new class of SDHC cards will change everything give us faster fps and the new cameras won't even worry about buffer speed as it will all be directly tied into the memory card so fast memory cards will be the buffer and will allow you to shoot without buffer filling up or slowing down in the middle of big bursts)

Another thing is that someone will invent a newer version of the eneloop rechargeable AA batteries with the current ones running in the 2000-2100mha range and the newer ones running in the 3000 or higher mha so that one set of batteries will truly last all day on the most demanding shooting and they will also charge in less than 8 hours. So all photographers will have to do is shoot all day charge one set of batteries as they sleep and then shoot all day the next day without hving to have multi chargers and sets of batteries. Oh and if you don;t like eneloops nickle metal hydride batteries will moves from 2900mha max to 4000mha max. I clearly remember when I started with my first digital camera in 2000 it used AAs and the rechargeables were 1200mha.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:05 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Maybe a dream or maybe technology is just moving so fast that I can see this happening. Here are my two things to add to this......

By 2015 their will be a digital bridge type point and shoot (like the form factor of the Fuji HS10/20) that will have the ability to match D-SLR results without having to change lenses etc. Yes match that of the quality say of the Nikon D90 or the Sony A350 level camera.
dSLR technology isn't standing still. So, why some of the quality may improve to where it's equal to obsolete dSLR models, models with tiny sensors probably won't be able to match the image quality you get with newer cameras using larger sensor sizes (especially where noise and dynamic range are concerned). But, the trend we're seeing more of lately is smaller bodies using larger sensors.

Also, the smaller the sensor or film size, the greater your depth of field for a given subject framing, focus distance and aperture (because you're using a shorter "actual" focal length lens for the same angle of view at a given subject distance when compared to cameras with a larger sensor or film size). So, your ability to make larger subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds is still going to be very limited compared to a camera with a larger sensor or film size.

Quote:
It will have a 30x zoom that will be f 2.8-f4 (yes 30x at f4)...
With lenses that have more range from wide to long, you'd still need to keep the sensor size very tiny to achieve a greater zoom range in a manageable package (from a size and weight perspective), hence limiting your control over depth of field.

Now, we're already seeing some "tricks" to help a camera with a smaller sensor simulate a shallower depth of field. For example, taking two photos with one focusing on the subject, and another way out of focus, then combining them in camera so that it looks more like you'd get using a camera with a larger sensor. I suspect we'll see more advancements where in camera processing will be used to blur backgrounds to do the same thing (as you can do with an editor using Gaussian Blur or similar tools). So, that may help out.

Quote:
It will also have the ability shoot at 3fps and 5fps till the memory card fills up...
A number of cameras can already do that using fast CompactFlash cards. ;-)

Some can also do it using Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards. For example, the Sony A33 can shoot full resolution jpeg fine images at 3fps until the memory card is full using a Sandisk Extreme III Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card; and the A550 can shoot at 5fps until the memory card is full with the same card. But, with a Class 10 Sandisk 30MB/Second Extreme SDHC Card, they test slower (these models support both SDHC and MS Pro HG Duo cards).

When you look at some of the newer dSLR models capable of newer UDMA transfer rates with fast CompactFlash Cards, even faster continuous frame rates are possible without worrying about the internal buffer filling up. For example, a Canon 7D can shoot away for hundreds of frames at around 8fps with a Sandisk Extreme Pro (600x) Compactflash card in it. ;-)

It's tougher with cameras using SDHC cards, since the current crop of Class 10 SDHC cards tend to "max out" with write speeds in the low 20s (Megabytes per second). But, it's common anymore to see dSLR models using much faster CompactFlash cards (the latest and greatest 600x cards) that can accommodate fast continuous frame rates.

Of course, as resolution tends to increase over time, file sizes increase, too (so faster camera electronics and cards will be needed to process the data and save it while maintaining faster frame rates).

Quote:
....(using an SDHC class 20 card - yes class a new class of SDHC cards...
I doubt we'll see any additions to the old Class rating, as the SD 2.0 spec is being phased out in favor of newer 3.0 (and later 4.0) specifications.

When looking at newer cards that work with hosts capable of supporting the newer standards, you'll see a UHS rating instead. There are a number of SDHC (and newer SXDC) cards starting to ship that have a UHS-1 rating now. SDHC cards that are UHS-1 compatible are capable of supporting a BUS interface speed of up to 104MB/Second if the host (camera, notebook, etc.) is capable of using the new standard.

But, I haven't seen any that are actually that fast yet on the write speed side (even though the interface design can support that kind of speed). For example, Sandisk labels their latest SDHC with a UHS-1 rating as 45MB/Second cards (still slower than some of the faster CompactFlash cards around now).

http://www.sandisk.com/microsites/Ex...DHC/index.html

However, you'll need a camera capable of supporting the newer standards to take advantage of the extra speed. You'll also see some (but not all) SXDC cards on shelves now with the same UHS-1 speed rating .

As time passes, even faster cards supporting an even newer SD 4.0 standard should start to ship (but, it will take a while for these to show up, as even cards supporting SD 3.0 have only recently become available). These will probably have a UHS-2 Rating (capable of bus speeds up to 312MB/Second. See more on the latest SD 4.0 spec here:

http://www.sdcard.org/home/SD_Associ...11_ENGLISH.PDF
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:36 PM   #25

[QUOTE=JimC;1214814]dSLR technology isn't standing still. So, why some of the quality may improve to where it's equal to obsolete dSLR models, models with tiny sensors probably won't be able to match the image quality you get with newer cameras using larger sensor sizes (especially where noise and dynamic range are concerned). But, the trend we're seeing more of lately is smaller bodies using larger sensors.

Understood it was just a general idea I had where bridge cameras with their built in lenses would catch up to the quality of a D-SLR

Also thanks for the explanation on the CF and SD card speed

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:58 PM   #26

What I would like to see?
Is a consistency in the things we do have.
Yes, we have higher ISO's, but, a lot of cameras are so noisy at 800 why bother?
A good median range mp, say 21 with good clarity...full size sensor...and a good sensor, period. There are so many sensors out there I can't keep track of them or whether any One of Them are any better than the others.
Better placement, meaning Right There, which has happened over the years of much used features such as: EV+-, macro to macro+, type of focus, type of exposure, and ISO control. The movable LCD is very good.
Maybe what there needs to be is more customization of the camera functions. Meaning instead of having them hidden away in the menu, some can be brought out and put on a button which is used for something we do not use much. Like, for me the timer, delete, or info buttons.
There are probably more things but these are just off the top of my head.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:42 AM   #27

I think in the near future small $100-300 point-and-shoot cameras will begin to go extinct as consumers will be happy with the quality of their cellphone photos.

Already the iPhone photo and video is quality is pretty darn good for being a cellphone. So the only market left will be the prosumer and pro photographers.

All cameras will have wifi by default so you can send photos to twitter or facebook or email etc, with a feature to drastically reduce the photo size for this purpose.

The technology used in Microsofts Kinect will be utilized in cameras so you will have rough 3D information of the image/video you took, and you will be able to view it in a pseudo-3D manner similar to what we saw in "Minority Report" when Tom Cruise is watching home video of his daughter and wife.

Cost will continue to go down, features will dramatically increase as new battery technology is developed.

Face recognition with drastically improve to the point where you can add faces to a database and the camera will auto-tag photos with the people in them. Cameras will come equipped with anti-theft technology, where it will be useless to anyone but the owner.
bboyneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 5:55 PM   #28

Thanks for the chuckle. All possibly but not likely going to happen. We will all be driving vehicles that won't be needing fossil fuel too.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 8:00 PM   #29

Still waiting to be able to take pictures from my flying car.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 8:35 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Still waiting to be able to take pictures from my flying car.
They should start shipping later this year.

http://www.terrafugia.com/index.html

You did give them a deposit so you'd be earlier in line for one, right?

If not, you may have a longer wait, and you may want to go to this page and follow the instructions for getting them a $10K deposit:

http://www.terrafugia.com/order.html