Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:15 PM   #1

Default Future of photography...where will it be in years to come ?

In the past decade or so, photography equipment has evolved so quickly that I can scarce believe it.

I got my first camera...some kind of a Box Brownie, back in the 50's...when I was a young kid. Didn't do much with it.

Really got into photography when I bought my first 35 mm slr, a Pentax in 1968.

Then it really took off for me.

But up to 2004 I was till using my film cameras...didn't trust digital, till my wife bought me a Panasonic Lumix.

I was astounded at how I could take pictures all day long and no film, no developing, no print costs.

I've bought a lot of DSLR equipment since then...mostly Pentax.

But my last and most current camera...2 months ago is a Canon G12.

I love the fold out....move it all around monitor, the HD video, the low light feature...comparing it to my first P+S of 2004...I'm blown away by all the new features.

I note with the advent of digital....changes, technical advances and new features to cameras and lenses, accessories, etc....seems to go at a breakneck pace. Look at the changes in ISO for example.

My question is...what features, technical advances, etc. in camera bodies, lenses and accessories will be available in 5 - 10 - 20 years ?

Nobody knows....so what's your best guess ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:54 PM   #2

OK since we are speculating, I would imagine a direct link grafted into the eye, that would only take a blink or a specific touch on the forehead to activate, and blue toothed to the computer for immediate viewing. Oh I forgot, 2.8 tera pixel resolution... Just a guess Frank
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:19 PM   #3

I would think that in the near future we wont have any memory cards we will have direct links to our home computers
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I would think that in the near future we wont have any memory cards we will have direct links to our home computers
That'd be awesome !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:00 AM   #5

I have no idea of what is coming but, based on the recent developments of mirrorless cameras and the subsequent miniaturization of lenses and camera bodies as well as the refinement of electronic viewfinders, cameras are getting smaller, faster, easier to carry and being less expensive at the same time.

It's an exciting period in time, if you're a shutterbug. I for one, can't wait for what's coming.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:22 AM   #6

Ha!
Mirrorless is just a reinvention of the old 35mm film rangefinder camera
That is what I started with in photography back in the 50's.

Everything just goes around in circles

But I agree with the speed photography is changing it is impossible to even guess what might be comming in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I have no idea of what is coming but, based on the recent developments of mirrorless cameras and the subsequent miniaturization of lenses and camera bodies as well as the refinement of electronic viewfinders, cameras are getting smaller, faster, easier to carry and being less expensive at the same time.

It's an exciting period in time, if you're a shutterbug. I for one, can't wait for what's coming.

Zig

Last edited by PeterP; Mar 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Well, we have face recognition, and lots of scene modes for cameras now, so i think the next big innovation which will send us all out to the stores, will be auto composition. Combined with sensor shift, the camera will recognize the elements in the scene, and adjust the composition in accordance with the rule of thirds. Every shot a masterpiece!

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:19 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Well, we have face recognition, and lots of scene modes for cameras now, so i think the next big innovation which will send us all out to the stores, will be auto composition.
Sony has already combined Face Detection and Auto Composition in their Party-shot System. See this Promo Video (released in 2009):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZZ8i5e-08

Disclaimer... I have no idea how well it really works, as I've never used it. But, the Promo Videos look neat. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:31 PM   #9
Administrator

BTW, although the Sony Party-shot system does things like Face Detection and Auto Composition, note that Minolta had what they called a Creative Card System for some of their AF SLR models years ago that did some neat stuff, too.

For example, one of them (Sports Action 2) would automatically zoom in or out as needed with lenses that have that ability (motorized zoom) so that the subject filled the same percentage of the frame while the Autofocus tracked the Action. Search using google for Minolta Creative Card System and you'll find more info about some of them:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...on+card+system
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:21 PM   #10

OK, I'm behind the times again. How about in-camera software that evaluates the photos, and culls them based on aesthetics and your level preference?

My big concern, is that with so many cameras out capturing photons, we will soon have a shortage, and the whole world will get dimmer and dimmer. Photon conservation will become what energy conservation is now.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote