Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:13 AM   #1

Default Basic question

hii .. I am novice and i am trying to take some photos of my room.. I have an Olympus fe-5020 digital camera.. My room has a window.. the problem is when i try to take the photo and focus the camera on the window .. the area outside the window become visible and everything inside my room gets dark and invisible ..

the second problem is if i focus the near wall, the room lightes up but the view outside the window become excessively White and everything outside the window is just white and invisible ):

I want a picture in which my room and the view outside the window both are visible.. please help

I have also attached the 2 different photos..

thanx
Attached Images

photoagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2011, 8:59 AM   #2

No camera made today can handle the difference in light intensity between indoors and out of doors so you have to help them along by using your flash indoors while pointed at the window. This is called 'fill flash" and is a common photographic technique to fill in heavy shadows caused by shooting at a window or when the subject has their back to the sun. You are limited by the power of your flash however so the results may not be perfect such as trying the fill in the shadow of a building.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:49 AM   #3

The other solution, is to set your camera to manual, and from a fixed position, take a series of exposures, starting with one where the outside looks good, and adjusting exposure time longer in about two or three steps, until the room interior looks bright enough. You can then combine these exposures into one, using HDR software.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Here's a quick example of fill flash. Review the chapter on flash in your owner's manual. You will probably find that all you have to so is enable the flash, compose and shoot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Mar 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:39 AM   #5

Default Re:

Thank you very much .. i found the option and it works great but now i am encountering new problems ):

Actually i am trying to make a virtual tour of my room .. so i plan to take multiple photos and stitch them together .. I was just wondering If ill use the "Fill IN" flash wont that make the pictures different and hard to stitch ?

Also is there any way i can manually set the apperture/ shutter setting of my camera? I have a FE-5020 Olympus, i guess thats a compact digital, wide angle camera..

I have read the manual and looked into camera settings too but i do not suggest how to manually set the shutter/apperture.

Regards

PhotoAgent
photoagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:55 AM   #6

Good stitching results require images with similar exposure results so experiment with the flash on and off until you get the results you want.

I'm not familiar with your model camera so why don't you ask about manual mode on the Olympus forum if the owner's manual doesn't help.