Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2004, 5:19 PM   #1

Default help! i think im blind ........!ELV

iv just got a fuji s5000 nice cam by the way but useing the lcd or the elv under street lighting i cannt see diddley its just point an guess???? has any one else had trouble in low light looking at a ELV?? thank you :shock:
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:54 AM   #2

First I don't I have no experience with S5000. Next I know you should atleast be able to see light sources in the lcd. If not something is wrong, does this camera allow adjustment of lcd brighness?

I know from an old digital camera that nightshots excluding lightsources can be plain point and guess. An old style rigflle target cross on top of camera would be helpfull in such situtations....but does such exist?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:52 AM   #3

Default Interesting...

You have to see something under the street lights. It is not normal and not logic..... :shock:
Read the reviews of your cam if something is mentioned like that. :idea:
Otherwise if it's still in warranty tale it back.....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:14 PM   #4

Default elv

my friends got a cam with a opitcal viewfinder all is ok but with this electric viewfinder in day light all is ok bot under low light its like picking out shadows even if its i can see the lamp but not the subject its hard to see
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 4:37 PM   #5

Default Re: elv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog
my friends got a cam with a opitcal viewfinder all is ok but with this electric viewfinder in day light all is ok bot under low light its like picking out shadows even if its i can see the lamp but not the subject its hard to see
Likely their isn't enough light to take a picture. A comfortable reading light is low light (~f/2, 1/10sec, ISO100) - there is much less light than that from a street light.

Experiment: try taking a picture in that light even if you cannot see the viewfinder well enough to frame the shot. Take it off a tripod if posssible, or at least lean against a post to hold the camera very still. Then take a look at the aperature and shutter speed - likely it will be as open and as slow as your camera is capable of, and the picture will be dark except when a light is in the frame.

If that is the case, you have run past the low light level that works with that camera. The only solution is to buy a better camera ($$$) and/or add light to the scene.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:33 PM   #6

Don't know the s5000, but I think some cams present a display to the viewfinder which is linked to scene exposure i'e dark scene - what you see (nothing) is what you get after the shot. Other cams do it the TV cam way and put gain into the display even at low light, but whilst you can frame a shot, the display brightness is no longer related to exposure. You may have pre and post shot view options in setup. Some of these cams are getting far too clever. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 9:12 PM   #7

If you are taking a flash picture in a dark place an EVF that brightens is necessary IMO. Most switch to B&W to alert you that you are no longer seeing what you will get and there are also warnings in the viewfinder. Generally speaking high quality cameras brighten in dim light and cheaper ones donít.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote