Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:21 AM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
NHL, thanks for correcting and adding info. I knew I didn't have all the info, so it's nice to learn more (while being corrected.) That info about flash metering is good to know. I never really understood why Nikon was considered to do this better. (And I knew you'd bring up the wireless flash issue. ) ...
This is like radar/radar detector outdoing one another. Right now with its D2h, the new SB800 flash is actually the most advanced at this time:

1. It's GN is +1 better than the Canon! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2. The wireless slaves ratio can be controlled right off the Master on the camera instead of at the individual units like on the Canon/Minolta, really convenient and time saving here...
3. Distance priority - ie ignore brightness of a scene like contrasty subjects (groom/bride)
4. But the best feature yet is the color correction to the camera using the pre-flash (with both master and the slaves)!

Time to switch gear hey?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:39 AM   #12

Na, I'd rather get a better lens and learn how to use it. The D2h ain't cheap (but it sure looks perrrdy.)

That #4 is rather slick. I hadn't heard that... interesting.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:06 AM   #13
NHL

Eric

Quote:
Flash Colour Information Communication

A new system designed to improve AWB (Auto White Balance) irrespective of flash output duration. Until now flash lighting can exhibit changes to AWB depending on flash to subject distances. Long (distant) duration outputs tend to be redder, short (close) durations tend to the bluer end of the spectrum.

The new SB-800 incorporates systems that communicate flash output information during exposures to the image processing ‘engine’ of the new Nikon D2H Digital SLR.

The principle is to deliver uniform AWB results during flash exposures of varying subject distances.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...nikonsb800.asp

... Not the D2h, but may be the next D100 update!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote